Sign in to follow this  

Had enough of ATI - sorry

I have been using a radeon 9500 pro in fs02 for some time now. However, i was never happy with it due to the stuttering problems it caused. I tried most solutions that were posted here and on other forums, but no luck. Now I am using a geforce fx 5200 (128Mb, non-ultra). I cannot believe the difference. First major one is no stuttering. The ATC pop-up window now has clearer text. Frame rates have not been too affected. For example, in 2d panel view i get 30fps; spot-plane view 20fps (15fps on the ground). My first flight (using my new gfx card) was using the ffx 737-500 bmi baby from cardiff to alicante. I was amazed at the difference. I am using the latest drivers from nvidia (44.03). I have everything maxed out in flight sim's display settings. I am running the sim at 1024x768 (32 bit) with 2xAA, and 4xAF. However, I was used to running the sim at 4xAA, and 16xAF. I have not noticed that much of a difference between the two settings.Has anyone else noticed a difference in running flight sim either Nvidia or ATI? Patiently waiting for fs2004 to arrive in the post!My current hardware is:AMD XP 2800 (333Mhz/Barton)MSI nForce 2 (without onboard gfx & sfx)MSI GeForce FX 5200 (128Mb)Audigy 2512Mb PC-2700 (333Mhz)Samsung 17" Monitor

Guest FPSFREAK

>I have been using a radeon 9500 pro in fs02 for some time>now. However, i was never happy with it due to the stuttering>problems it caused. I tried most solutions that were posted>here and on other forums, but no luck. Now I am using a>geforce fx 5200 (128Mb, non-ultra). I cannot believe the>difference. First major one is no stuttering. The ATC pop-up>window now has clearer text. Frame rates have not been too>affected. For example, in 2d panel view i get 30fps;>spot-plane view 20fps (15fps on the ground). My first flight>(using my new gfx card) was using the ffx 737-500 bmi baby>from cardiff to alicante. I was amazed at the difference.Were your chipset drivers up to date along w your Bios for the MB?. This is a major cause of stuttering w ATI cards. Also. What card were you using before the 9500?. If it was an Nvidia, did you remove all the old Det. drivers w a destroyer utility?. You would be the very first person to see framerates at or near a 9500Pro w the 5200. Besides the issues above the only reason for that would have been a bad 9500. >I am using the latest drivers from nvidia (44.03). I have>everything maxed out in flight sim's display settings. I am>running the sim at 1024x768 (32 bit) with 2xAA, and 4xAF.>However, I was used to running the sim at 4xAA, and 16xAF. I>have not noticed that much of a difference between the two>settings.When you say everything is maxxed out are you sure? Does that include AT which kills framerates. Those are phenomenal numbers for a 5200 with your setup. Especially with any AA and/or AF enabled.>Has anyone else noticed a difference in running flight sim>either Nvidia or ATI? Patiently waiting for fs2004 to arrive>in the post!Noticed a difference?? Yep, night and day :) my old 4600 couldn't touch my 9700Pro even when it was overclocked w no AA and or AF. The difference between my 9800 and anything from the FX line other than the 5900 shows no comparison. The ATI shows better framerates as well as better image quality.>My current hardware is:>AMD XP 2800 (333Mhz/Barton)>MSI nForce 2 (without onboard gfx & sfx)>MSI GeForce FX 5200 (128Mb)>Audigy 2>512Mb PC-2700 (333Mhz)>Samsung 17" Monitor

Hi.Yes, the NVIDIA boards can be a LOT better in some respects. ATI is using some tricks / shortcuts when it comes to filtering. I conducted many experiments and the cleanest / sharpest picture (land textures) I got was from GF3 with 29.42, Anis. 8 and LOD-3. If it works for you, don

Thanks for the replies.In response, I have downloaded the latest nforce 2 system drivers, and recently flashed my bios. I always format my hdd b4 i change the gfx card (just me being paranoid). I am not too sure what you mean my AT. Yep, everything is maxxed out (AI traffic 100%, aircraft texture size = massive, aircraft reflections, extended terrain e.t.c..)I am just as suprised as you are.

Guest FPSFREAK

What I meant by AT was the AI traffic. If you've got all sliders maxxed and your pulling those framerates I would never get rid of that card. Your doing better than I was w a 3.06 P4/Rambus/9700 Combo.Having owned a II, GeForce 3Ti500, a Gainward 4200 and a 5800FX I won't argue the ATI/Nvidia comparo as much. But facts are facts, when AA and AF are enabled, the only Nvidia card that will run w an ATI 9500Pro and up is the 5900FX.As far as AVCOMWARES statement that ATI is using filtering tricks that may well be the case. Every major component manufacturer uses tweaks and workarounds to present the best product they can to the consumer. Nvidia is just as guilty if not more so. They write drivers that excel at a particular benchmark in hopes of swaying customers to their product based on how it benchmarks in one of the most popular testing tools around. Yet the card performs a lot different in real world gaming/sim situations.When all is said and done it comes down to one thing.... If your happy w the way the card performs stick with it. Your the one who has to sit in front of it everyday. Numbers and comparisons don't always mean everything.Bobby