Sign in to follow this  

Your thoughts please - Gainward Geforce FX5600 256mb

Hello Guruz!After browsing for a day looking at www.robotnik.com I have came across the conclusion of getting a NVIDIA card again --- Not ATI.Looking at the GeForceFX 5600 256MB, not sure that this is the Ultra, but I assume it must be, or it wouldnt be 256mb, right?This card is alot cheaper than the Radeon 9700pro or 9800pro, and I can afford this one. So what are you're thoughts on this card? I am not going to be playing JUST FlightSim, also play things like America's Army, Papyrus Racing Nascar 200X Season, Grand Theft Auto Vice City.Any info, bad things about this card and the good would be appreciated before I take the plunge.

Guest bjjones

>Looking at the GeForceFX 5600 256MB, not sure that this is the>Ultra, but I assume it must be, or it wouldnt be 256mb,>right?>Not necessarily, both the 5600 & 5600 Ultra are available with either 128/256MB RAM, especially with Gainword theres no knowing what the hell your buying because they seem to name their products to confuse, I THINK that only Gainward 'Golden Samples' are the Ultra versions of the boards and for their Ultra you should be looking for clocks of 450/450(900) instead of 400/400(800) but having said that there are still a lot of the 'old' ultra boards about with only 350/350(700) so make sure you really know what your buying.Also, you might want to have a look at eBay for the higher end cards, over the last few weeks while I've been looking to upgrade i've seem 9700 Pro's going for around

Hey there thanks for the reply.I have decided to hold off untill mid september for a new video card, I'm now hearing that the FX series is not much better than an GeforceTI.Might save up for an ATI Radeon if ATI Fixes all the flickering and shimmering autogen problems in future driver realeases.

Just to confirm what Ben said about 'old' FX5600's being passed off.I was in the market for a reasonably price card and was looking at the Radeon8600Pro and the FX5600 Ultra here in the UK. Plenty of stores were selling the FX5600 Ultras but I could not find one that had a core speed above 400, most were 325 or 350, so much for the 'Ultra' bit. Oh, and a number of those were Gainward cards.In the end I went for a GF4 Ti4800/128MB which should have been delivered Wednesday but I have now been told the couriers have lost the package ....grrrr!

Guest ccgr

the 5600 ultra performs on par with the ti4200. The 256MB or RAM is overkill according to Tom's Hardware.com Gainward is a good brand we've had their cards before, no complaints. Good RMA policy.