Sign in to follow this  

Making a tradeoff between quality and performance

Hi all. What would be the best setting for me so I can get performance and nice image quality?I am running a PIII 866mhz, 256mb-ram, geforce 2 mx 400 64mb, 20gb hdd.The AA, Direct3D, OpenGL settings, and the settings in FS2002, I really am looking forward to make FS2002 enjoyable to use.Shane

Great question Shane--we have nearly identical systems, so I thought I'd offer some input.I got to my FS2002 "sweet spot" by starting with everything maxed, then lowering the sliders that slowed it most. These are the sliders I've given attention to:Building & Aircraft shadows - OffAutogen -- no real issues with fps as long as I keep it normal, or any lower setting.AI -- By far the biggest fps killer, especially in tandem with aircraft reflections. I turn it on only when I want to fly with traffic. FPS are alright (about 15-17 fps) as long as I stay out of the detailed FS cities (i.e. LA, NYC, ATL, Chicago....)Water detail & reflections -- I leave it off. It's great eye candy for screenshots, and I do turn it on sometimes if I'm flying a light aircraft between LAX and Catalina or flying in the Isles, but it's easier on the cpu to leave it off.Screen Resolution -- 800x600x32Hardware T&L - OffEverything else I have maxed. I average around 23-25 fps most places--almost a guaranteed fps if AI is off and I'm in a typical FS city, such as Phoenix. Spot views yield lower fps sometimes, especially when the aircraft is a complex one.On the hardware side, I've used Rivatuner to adjust LOD to -.5 and to enable anisotropy. Huge difference.On the O/S side, I don't allow anything to load into the "system tray" other than the volume control. That's about all I can think of.... The combination of these settings has led to many happy hours of FS simming...-John

Hi JohnI think I have tried Rivatuner and was frustrated, guess i'm not that much of a techie guy that knows about that stuff.. I used the "basic" settings in the geforce mx 2 card configuration and shutt AA to 2X, and the anisotropy off aswell, now I am expirencing WIERD things, like this, textures will go pink, yellow, purple, red, black, etc. Maybe time for a re-install of FS2002 and play amore with the Graphics card?Shane

Several things I do1. Turn off scenery shadows2. Turn off aircraft shadows (if you use AI and have it on then all AI planes have shadows too and if you installed PAI's Delta you cn have 70 planes with shadows that will kill fps.3. Reduce your colouds from 100% to 50%4. Turn off reflections5. Tuen off dynamic scenery6. Reduce Auto gen 1 notch.Johnualfan@msn.com

JetLine Systems Gravity GT2-Windows 10 Home Edition (64-Bit), NZXT H500 Mid-Tower, Black, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 PRO WIFI, LGA 1151, Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900K (5.0GHz Turbo) 8 Core / 16 Thread, Corsair Hydro H60 120mm Liquid Cooling, 32GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3000MHz RGB, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, GDDR6, 750 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 5.1 Channel Realtek Integrated HD Audio, Primary SSD Drive:1TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD), Secondary SSD Drive:2TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD) 4TB WD Black 7200 RPM Mechanical , SimOn Solutions 737 Professional Compact Trainer (MIP, OH). CFY 737 Max Motorized TQ Gold V3, MSFS2020, ProSim 737. 45" Samsung 4K TV.

And another one: Set gauge quality to "low" if you have jerky motion in cockpit or VC view!Rob Young