Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

FSUIPC Adjustments

Guest Jet

Trying to fine tune Joystick with the FSUIPC add-on.In the adjustment section it seems to just allow adjustments for Range. I thought there might be some way to also adjust Sensitivity or do you go back to FS2002 for those adjustments after one has adjusted FSUIPC for range.I just inputed range values for full motion of the requested parameters (ie. aelerions, throttle, rudder, brakes and so on).I did notice the full range of these features work even when I turn sensitivites way down (in FS2002), which was not the case prior to FSUIPC.I just thought there were also sensitivity adjustments within FSUIPC also.Thanks.

No FSUIPC doesn't provide sensitivity adjustments. FS2002 doesn't either. The sensitivity adjustment is a misnomer. FSUIPC provides a way to set a deadband zone, a beta detent, and elimination of joystick noise.Reread the calibration instructions, follow them carefully, and your flying experience will be much more rewarding.

Guest Jet

I'm a little foggy on the Text regarding FSUIPC...where can I locate that again?Thanks,

Greg/Bill,Some notes I made sometime ago:Behaviour of controller axis.=============================First of all, try to calibrate your controllers under Windows as good as possible; this gives you the best "range" and resolution for your controller axis. Secondly, you must understand that FSUIPC processes the INPUT value of an axis (as received from FS2002) if you SET it, and feeds back the OUTPUT value back to FS2002 based on the values you enter in the SET values (like the Min/Max, and a dead-zone)These INPUT values that FSUIPC receives from FS2002 however, are influenced by the FS2002 settings of Sensitivity and NullZone.Thirdly, it is important to understand what FS2002 means with Sensitivity of an axis. THIS IS DIFFERENT FOR VARIOUS TYPES OF AXIS.There are two types of axis:1. Axis with a min/max value, like Throttles, brakes2. Axis with a min/center/max value, like rudder and ailerons.Now, for type-1, Sensitivity means 'range'. I.o.w.: if you set the Sensitivity slider to another value than MAX, FSUIPS's INPUT value doesnot reach the min/max values (i.e. +/- 16383). Of course you can compensate this by setting the MIN/MAX SET values in FSUIPC.However, for type-2, Sentitivity says something about the SPEED that your control surfaces react to axis movement, and NOT to the range of the axis. So, if you set the Sensitivity of your rudder or ailerons axis to a low value, the a/c reacts very slugglish to axis movements (In FSUIPC, observe the speed with which the INPUT value changes when you vary the Sensitivity slider for that axis). Also observe, that in this case the Sensitivity slider DOESNOT have any effect on the range (Min/Max value) of the axis.Now, you can let type-2 axis behave like type-1 axis, by adding the line:stick_sensitivity_mode=0to the {Controls} section of the fs2002.cfg file.Example for elevator axis:- Without the line (or value = 1, which is the default):If you move the elevator from full up to full down, the INPUT value will vary from appr. +16000 to -16000 independant of the Sensitivity slider for the axis. Only the reaction speed changes with the slider.- With this line:With the Sensitivity at Max, the INPUT value again varies from appr. +16000 to -16000.If you set the slider halfway, you'll see that a full swing a the elevator now limits the INPUT value from appr. -8000 to +8000.And for Sensitivity 3/4: from -12000 to +12000.Rob

Do you have recommended values for scale and null other than the ones recommended by Peter Dowson, i.e., 64(-64) and zero.

Guest Jet

I'm just scratching the surface as respects FSUIPC,,,but I think i like it.I do note that FSUIPC seems to allow full range even with adjustments to FS2002 sensitivity.For instance, I wanted better control of the throttle, but when I turned down sensitivity w/o FSUIPC I also only got about 1/2 throttle response...it would not go to full throttle. Then using FSUIPC I inputed the full range of the throttle and went back and adjusted sensitivities. I think I got the desired result, slower reaction from the throttle allowing more control but also allowing full range (when at full throttle I indeed was getting full MP, unlike before).Again, I am just getting into FSUIPC but that alone is a 100% improvment. Am I right about that by the way? I did that same thing with all the other axis and noticed after FSUIPC settings, going back to sensitivities allowed a slower response but with full range of performance...I think.I'll keep reading up on FSUIPC, it seems to give a much greater level of control.Thanks,Greg

Bill,The problem with Peter's documentation is that he doesnot make a proper distinction between settings for FS2000 and FS2002.The description I made above applies to FS2002, which behaves differently with respect to "sensitivity".I have a setup with:- Homemade Rudder pedal / toebrakes / mixture on the gameport- Homemade 4-Throttle quadrant on USB, via a USBconvertor (with Reverse thrust on the throttle axis)- CH USB Yoke (of which I use tyhe Throttle lever as Flaps lever)- Logitec Wingman USB FF joystickHow I use my settings:1. I have added stick_sensitivity_mode = 02. For ALL AXIS: - MAX Sensitivity (in FS2002.cfg: axis value +/- 127) - MIN null zone (in FS2002.cfg: value 03. In FSUIPC: all axis are SET, with values between +15000 and +16383 resp. -15000 and -16383The Center dead zones in FSUIPC: keep the center dead zone as small as possible, giving you the best response. The smaller the better.Depends a bit how accurate your controller is; especially with gameport controller you need at least 500 units because of the jitter on gameport axis. In my case: for the yoke and stick axis (elevator/ailerons): -200 to +200for the rudder: -1000 to -1500 (my rudder axis is a bit off-centered).Note: the most common mistake people make is to have a too large center deadzone. These people usually have the problem that they can't keep the plane on the center runwayline. Caused by the fact that they must move the pedals quite a bit before they react (because of the large deadzone). So they over-compensate in the other direction, etc. etc.Rob

Greg,See my response to Bill.And just experiment :-).But as a general rule:Well calibrated axis under Windows, Max Sensitivity and Min Null zones for all axis, and than fine calibration with FSUIPC.And unless you have perfect controllers, FSUIPC is the ONLY way to get a proper setup.And yes, it is a great add-on !!.ABout "slower reaction from the throttle allowing more control but also allowing full range "I think your imagination fools you :-)The throttle axis is a "type-1" axis (no center value); therefore, the Sensitivity slider for Throttle ONLY influences the Range, not the SPEED it reacts to throttle inputs. Independant of the Stick_sensitivity_mode line.This line ONLY influences axis with a center value (like ailerons, rudder and elevator).Rob

Guest Jet

I have a very good imagination!!Wishful thinking I guess...

One of the interesting things I find with the throttle setup with a throttle detente for beta region is the sensitivity in small movements.The reason this occurs, IMO :-lol , is one is now using a different starting point on the control. A smaller change causes a larger output than if the detente is not used. I need to compensate for a noisy powersupply which causes me to move the detente higher on the throttle throw. Wonder if a zener diode would do any harm to sweeten up the 5v? *:-*The only problem I have is with the twist grip rudder on my joystick. Center is inconsistent so I have moved the deadband out. Maybe I need to build your rudder pedals, Rob!!!

I've been trying to read the (very detailed) posts here, but it's mid-afternoon and it made my head hurt.Can anyone tell me in simple terms how to calibrate the throttle on my joystick so that the reverse-thrust function (f2 key) works again?Thanks a bunch

Hi Bill,About the throttle: yes, of course.If you use part of the Throttle range as Reverse thrust, normal thrust will be less accurate.The noise you see ("jitter" on the axis) is not cause by the power supply (IMHO) but by EMC on the cable. Make sure the controller cable is as short as possible, and that is of good quality (i.e. good cable shield).I have experimented with resistor/capacitor/coil combination, but I can get the jitter less than appr. 300 units on the -16383 - +16383 scale.About the twist rudder: that's a common problem. These twist rudders are very unaccurate and don't give a good feeling for rudder, especially when on the runway (which needs very small inputs).And yes, building your own pedals will give you a much better flying experiance. I have 100+ Emails plus dozen of photo's from other simmers to prove it :-)..Cheers, Rob

Damian,The only proper way is to use FSUIPC for that.If you have that:- Go to Modules - FSUIPC- Click tab Joystick- On the first page (1 of 6) goto the Throttle section.- Click the Set button, which gives you 2 new Set buttons.- Set your throttle to idle, and click the Left SET.- Set your throttle to Full, and click the Right Set.Now, when your move the throttle lever between idle and full, you'll see that the OUTPUT value varies between -16383 and +16383.NOW their are properly calibrated :-), and your F2 will work ..Rob