Sign in to follow this  
Guest JeanLuc_

Where to find minimum enroute altitudes (MOCA)?

The easiest way would obviously be buying some IFR charts. Yet, I wonder if there is any additional source of this information. I could use FSNavigator for flight planning (GA aircraft), but in mountainous terrain it is handy (read: safe) to know what MOCA for particular airway segment is. Thanks for any hints.Don

The company I fly for has about 30 jets, each has a full set of U.S. NOS charts. I will try and snag a set before they are thrown out when they expire this month and send them to you.

Guest DNelson

Just to clarify, minimum enroute altitude (MEA) and minimum obstacle clearance altitude (MOCA) are not the same. MOCA is just what is says - the minimum altitude needed to avoid colliding with solid objects, natural or man-made. In addition to obstacle clearance, MEA altitudes assure reception of comminication and navigation radio transmissions. Out here in the Rockies, MEA's can be significantly higher than MOCA's because of the line-of-sight nature of VHF radio.Dan

Oh, I know Dan. Just placed it there to make it visible to everybody.The point I meant was the altitude to clear the mountain peaks, never mind the VOR signal coverage.Thank you for your generous offer, Falcon pilot.I will drop you a note.Don

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi Don,this is a standard feature of the Reality XP GPS: MSA & MESA (Minimum Safe Altitude and Minimum Enroute Safe Altitude). It is featured in the Navigation Pages, along with too many other options to mention here.Hope this helps!

Guest RiddlePilot

...and isn't MOCA only guaranteed for 22 NM from a VOR

Guest KenG

MOCA provides adequate signal coverage within 22 nm of the VOR. It provides adequate (~1000') clearance from obstacles throughout the assigned route, until it changes to another altitude.