Sign in to follow this  
Guest Airbus_A340

Overpriced Products

>The nature of commercial competition? If they want to stay >competitive, then again, they need to rethink the price. Thats my >whole point, really... at the moment, they are not competitive at >all... they lose out with a price like that.Not really, actually the strategy is quite sound IMO.Produce a mid level product, it doesn't take as long to produce it, it doesn't cost as much to produce it either.He knows he's not going to sell as many units as the others, but then he doesn't have to because it didn't cost him that much to produce it. The higher price means he can sell less units and still make his profit margin.Lower price often means more units sold, true. But that doesn't mean you'll make more money than if you sold less units at a higher price.Likely the PF product doesn't have even 1/2 of the man hours that were put into the other products.The screenshots are clearly not any sort of deception, you can clearly see the quality you are getting. Perhaps high quality externals and cool VC's are not that important to everyone. Perhaps not every customer is as discriminating as some of the folks we have here.Maybe all that is required is an product that looks interesting and maybe a bit of fun. And a customer base which is not all that demanding.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

I fully understand your point, and yes he might make as much of a profit this time around with that price as some other high quality, lower priced products, but also, those higher quality, lower priced products will probably be more well praised than a medium quality and high price product, you know? In the long run, he probably will be making less than most others because people will get to see what kind of products he offers versus the price hes charging. The value is what im referring to... customers would probably look at the value he placed on it and disagree with it, feeling like they overpaid for what they got. This is all based on my own common sense so, no I dont have the facts but I think what I'm saying is pretty true because its common sense, really. You know what i mean?

>I also agree with Todd when he says developers should compare their >product more carefully and >honestly >with the competition to set a >price which reflects its qualities and limitations. I don't think >it is *only* the consumers' responsability to determine which price >is right. It is the customers responsibility, and nobody elses, and that's the way it should be. It no different in any other business transaction, why should it be different for FlightSim add-ons ?>Buying something immaterial like software over the internet always >involves a degree of trust. It's no different then buying a boxed version in a store. The boxed version has a description and maybe a couple of screenshots on the box, and that's usually it. There's no difference here.>If a company overcharges a product, they risk loosing the trust of >the customer. He might not come back, no matter how good the next >offering might be. When your setting a price, your taking a gamble. You don't know how many units you will eventually sell.You might charge a fair price, and still end up losing money,whereas if you had charged a higher price you might make a profit. Look, you have two groups who's goals are complete opposites, and yet their goals are the same.The seller, who's goal is to sell the product for as much money as possible.The buyer, who's goal is to purchase the product for as little money as possible.In both cases they are trying to maximize their return on their investment.When people under charge things, do we see people saying, "no,no,no I insist you charge me a higher price !". No instead they are lining up to get a crack at that bargain price.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Actually Ernie, some folks are refreshingly honest on this point:"when people under charge things, do we see people saying, "no,no,no I insist you charge me a higher price !".Go to the Realair Website and you'll see comments there which more than imply some customers would have been willing to pay more - but I admit this is a fast diminishing species.Rob Young

Rob I have seen many times where eager and very happy simmers have openly said let me pay more. Or, for freeware attempting to offer something. There is such a suprising ratio between product price and product quality lately it just makes you wonder if there is some sort of disease spreading. I have spent many years with the combat sims and was wondering if this trend is something that was around with previous versions of this sim? BobG

>Go to the Realair Website and you'll see comments there which more >than imply some customers would have been willing to pay more - but >I admit this is a fast diminishing species.You missed my point.They might be willing to pay more "if they had too". But likely few if any insisted on paying more when they didn't have to , even when they knew they were getting a real bargain. So why is the developer wrong for basically doing the same thing ?Developers might be more than willing to sell the product at a lower price too, but if they don't have to they probably won't. They goals are both the same, best return on the investment.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

>I fully understand your point, and yes he might make as much of a profit this time around with >that price as some other high quality, lower priced products, but also, those higher quality, >lower priced products will probably be more well praised than a medium quality and high price >product, you know? I agree with that assesment.>In the long run, he probably will be making less than most others because people will get to see >what kind of products he offers versus the price hes charging. But again he doesn't have to make as much as the others, he didn't invest as much money or time in it.>The value is what im referring to... customers would probably look at the value he placed on it >and disagree with it, feeling like >they overpaid for what they got. This is all based on my own >common >sense so, no I dont have the facts but I think what I'm saying is >pretty true because its >common sense, really. You know what i mean? yes, but its still not a bad strategy.If it turns out his price is too high, and he doesn't sell as many units as he wanted to, he still has the option of lowering the price to a more acceptable level. His last 5 products have all been the same price, $22.50. That tells me he appears to be doing okay at that price so far. Plus how many Grumman Trackers are there out there for FS2002 ? If someone really likes this aircraft and if PF's is better than freeware, and there's no payware option, they might buy this product. Because who knows if another payware developer would ever produce this aircraft.People will buy a mediocre product if there's nothing else like it available at the same or lower price. Regards. Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Guest UweR

That is too easy! I agree that there is SOME better freeware than SOME payware, but it is my honest opinion that the best of the payware packages (IMHO Wilco

Guest Twister

Hi,I'm afraid I'm gonna be blunt and direct on this one:Judging from the screenshots, charging such an amount of money for a GROSSLY SUBSTANDARD add-on is a real shame in my opinion !!!The panel is ridiculous, taking standard MS Cessna gauges (which are already poor quality and low resolution - leftovers from FS98 )and rearranging them in a different layout is an incredible way of doing things for a commercial add-on...If the aircraft was offered as freeware...it would be fine...but charging 22 USD for that joke?I am more than happy to pay for quality payware, there are excellent add-ons on the market to choose from: Real Air Simulations, Dreamfleet, FSD, Captain Sim to name just a few...those companies are constantly striving to produce the highest quality and they deserve every penny of the price they're asking...I am confident that the simmers' community will ignore this pseudo-commercial product !Twister

Guest RobA

Thanks for that shot, Lizardo! I flew in the S2F-1 a ton of times in the US Navy. I was attatched to VT-28 at NAS Corpus Christi, TX and although not a pilot, I had a card authorizing me to start these babies up and move them to a parking spot or wash rack for cleaning. If I remember correctly each radial engine put out 1,850 HP! They fly over my house in the fire season and always make me smile when I see them. I was really hoping this release of the S2 Tracker would not have a rearranged Cessna panel. :-( Still, I haven't seen anyone post that actuall has it yet. :-ORob

Guest Airbus_A340

These are the same guys that are selling Project Airbus' early A300 aircraft in JAS colours. Someone from Perfect Flight told us he was going to distribute them for freeware, and not sell them.It's not just PA, but it's other freeware authors and scenery designers, he's even credited us on his page:"Adventure Programming and Flight Plans: Marco Martini Aircraft Designers: Camille Valiquette, Barry Blaisdel, Melvin Rafi, Tom Ruth, Robert Corp, Luis Cerutti Panels and Gauges: Mario Coelho and Chuck Dome Scenery Designers: Atsushi Terui, Seigo Ito, Harald Heidinger, Satake Kazuhiko, Kawamoto Nobuhito"PA has emailed some of these authors, and all that responded told us they had not authorised him for payware...since when was Camille Valiquette into payware?...Basically they took our products, sticking in a few adventures and then distribute it and sell it for $19.00.We have emailed Perfect Flight about this before, and we have also taken it to Avsim, but they still have not taken it off their website. It makes me sick looking at "Perfect Flight" advertisement on the top of Avsim.I thought that would be a heads-up.