Sign in to follow this  
Guest Airbus_A340

Overpriced Products

I'm not dissing Perfect Flight or anything like that, but I just wanted to state that I think their Grumman S2-E/S2-A Tracker is way overpriced. $22.50 for a medium detailed aircraft? The gorgeous Dreamfleet Cardinal is superdetailed and has a top-quality panel set, and it costs 45 cents more. Same thing with the amazing C421 by Flight1. What about the Archer by Dreamfleet? $19.95. All of FSD's planes are a few dollars cheaper for more than twice the quality... Commander 115 and Piper Cub - $15; Cheyenne 400LS - $17.50; Seneca V - $18.50. Etc. etc... you get my point. I'm not making a complaint, and please don't tell me "if you dont like it, then dont buy it" because I know that very well... Even if I had the money, I would not buy this aircraft because, yes it is detailed and it has a nice panel and im sure it flies great and all that, maybe there might even be more to it than meets my eye, but in my humble opinion, from what the eye can see, they have overpriced it by about $8 - $10. Maybe I'm being out of line by posting this... if I am, I am deeply sorry, but I just felt like sharing my thoughts with you guys and maybe getting some feedback on that.

Guest jason2112

I haven't flown their plane either, but the screenshot of the virtual cockpit was a big let down!!! Compare this to the VCs of the Cardinal or the Marchetti SF.260 ... this plane would be a nice addition for every freeware collection, and paying around 10$ could be ok as well, but over 20$? No way!Just my 2c (EUR),VOlker :]

Guest Skedflyer

I agree, too many of us have dished out our hard earned money for substandard overpriced products..... Your not out of line at all.regards

Let's add the Twin Otter by Lago to the list: at 20 euro I can't say it's grossely overpiced, but if I compare quality and features with the payware aircraft you mentioned, I cannot escape the conclusion that it too is too expensive. There are also examples of payware sceneries who charge the same price for just one airport as others do for an (often better) package of 5, 6 airports and more.I think it's about time that we, the consumers of payware addons, share our opinions on what we think is a fair price for a commercial product. You have every right to make a price/quality comparison. Take any consumer magazine and that's what it always boils down to: do they think the price is right? And which product offers the best value for money? Why not in this case?I think this is also a major shortcoming in many of the reviews we see on different flightsim sites. First, they only tend to review the most outstanding products while (often deliberately) keeping silent about the not-so-good ones. Second, they very seldom voice any opinion about the price setting of a product (unless they think it's great value for money). Price has been a big taboo until now. I see no reason why it should be.Paul

What can I say but....AGREED There is way better FREEWAREthan payware out there!!-Shane

And...hah! oh yah, sure, the SF-260 by realair sim is great, but the VC, man, that stutters like crazy at 30fps !!!-Shane

Shane,Did you read the manuals? If your system is challenged by the VC, simply turn gauge quality to "low" in your display/aircraft menu and voila, you'll get smooth motion again. And the gauges will still be quite sharp.Regards,Rob YoungRealAir Simulations

Anyone that's been flying sims for awhile has been disappointed with a payware download at some time or another. Being a little slower than most, I have fallen victim to this a few times.IMHO, Perflect Flight has been a major offender in this area, offering substandard products and dismal customer support. I was blown away by the errors in their JUMBO! product and my subsequent requests for help that were completely ignored.I have no desire to slam certain individuals or companies but I repeatedly see new products come out from certain companies, knowing that when I go to the forums I will see the same old complaints about the "new" product. I would like to encourage all of us to share these experiences openly on the forums to save other over-eager pilots the same disappointment.If this is done without defaming or tearing down any provider, the result would be a happier flying community and companies that are more acountable for the goods they deliver.David

Guest sbdwag

The bottom line is refuse to be a beta tester anymore. Let someone else buy a product Look at the reviews on the forums. Protest strongly if the quality is not up to par. But ultimatly it may do no good. We that populate the forums are just a drop in the bucket for those who sell a boxed product. Take the newest dissapointment plane out there put a pretty box on it and sell it a one of the major retail software outlets and people will buy it thats where the real money is at.Frankly I feel that many developers could care less what we thinkDennis Waggoner

With a box bought at a local store, it is much easier to return or exchange it. Just ask to see the manager, and then up the chain until you get satisfaction.

Guest sbdwag

Which brings up a interesting point. On current distributor is sayin on their forum that they will not refund any money until the third patch is released. I guess they think we should all beta test their products for them.Dennis

Overpriced Products !! yes there are some out there that are overpriced and are horrble compard to some great freeware out there! i hope this trend does not grow bigger :(

If you are persistant and return the product in pristine condition, you shouldn't have any problems at a store. They have several options including return to manufacturer as damaged, shipping off to another store, or simply re-shrinkwrapping it and putting it back on the shelf.

Guest Lizardo

But, there is hope. I won't say "who", but there is an S2 in the works designed with FDS2, all the bells & whistles, exact panel & air/cfg (beta by Stoof-drivers), folding wings, and perhaps reflective textures. But not with radars popping out all over. When? 2-3? weeks. How much? Free here at Avsim.

Guest Pabra

If this $22.50 would be ok just imagine what captainsim could ask for the 727 :-lol