Sign in to follow this  
RLJR

Yoke or Joy Stick?

In a real aircraft when you push the nose down and let go of the stick the aircraft will return back to level flight if it is trimed out right. I have a force feedback 2 stick, and my question is this; What is the best way to control civilian aircraft, the yoke or stick and what brand? Second I have played with the sliders for sensitivity and can't get to a place where I can fly the larger aircraft manually. It seems that I am over controling constantly. I do have quite a bit of logged time in real aircraft.

Guest kilo_sierra17

I think it depends on if you plan on using it for more then just FS, if you like driving games and fligh simming games, I would go for a Joystick, if your just gonna fly, then a yoke, that's just my opinion.

KurtI use it only for F/S. I will be looking for a yoke.I see you have the XPS. Do you like it? How does it handle F/S 2004?RLJR

Guest kilo_sierra17

This isn't the new XPS from Dell, this is the one they had about 3-4 years ago, I do like it but definetly it will be time to upgrade soon. It's really funny actually, I get a lot of PM and emails asking me how I like my XPS, and I have to tell them that it's the old XPS :-lol

If you choose stick - I suggest Saitek's Cyborg 3D. This is the only stick that gives you 'civilian' aircraft realism - namely you can place the stick in your left hand and have throttle in the right hand. All other sticks pretty much are limited to fighter pilot type flying.(BTW, Cyborg lets you customize the stick for either left or right hand operation. Its additional asset is very good, precise throttle with long throw).Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Guest kilo_sierra17

I have a Saitek Cyborg 3D GOLD, I have had it for at least 2 years, it is a good joystick, however it's starting to get tired, some things are getting lose, so I was considering just buying another one of the same, I really am not a big fan of force feedback and everything, and most games it doesn't always work well, I saw this joystick there,http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/cyborg_evo.htmAnyone tell me if this would be a good buy?

Guest racerpilot

Hi,I have both a yoke and a stick. The yoke is the most realistic, and I love it (like yourself, i have quite a few hours clocked). The only disadvantage is that in order to acheive realism, you must buy rudder petals as well. Therefore, the whole yoke and rudder system costs much more, around

Any reccomendations on the yoke? How do you like alienware? Kurt, Saitek has one that the throttle is a lever, and may be better than what apears to be a roller for the throttle on the one you sent the address for.RLJR

Guest racerpilot

I love alienware! Take a look at my website for more information, it is http://www.freewebs.com/flightsimscreens/m...nwaresystem.htm . I have the CH products yoke and pedals, which are the cheapest and work fine. As for my joystick, I use a Logitech Wingman 3D Force Feedback, which I do not reccoment, The force feedback is too jumpy and with it off the joystick becomes too slack. I will be replacing it with the Saitek Cyborg EVO, which got a good review from Computer Pilot Magazine, and looks like a reasonable step forwards.Hope This Helps

Guest kilo_sierra17

Your attachments are not showing up, are you talking about the Cyborg 3D Gold, cause that's the one I already have, I was just considering possibly a different joystick, or do you mean the X45?

I didn't have any attachments. I was having a real slow loading problem and that stuff just showed up.???I question the throttle on the cyborg Evo. Making instruement approaches it is neccessary to have a good throttle responce inorder to set the power.Their St220, 3D Rumble, 3D force and the x45 Digital all look to have good throttles. My son has the X45 and he loves it. I tried it and still had trouble triming out the aircraft. Maybe I expect too much, but with all this great stuff going on it looks like there should be a control that will allow manually flying these hard to control aircraft in a more realistic manner. The Cessna 182 works fairly well. I can almost make the whole flight to a zero landing manually. This I did in a real 150 once and it was when I took my commerical test. It was a funny feeling to touch down and not see the ground until on roll out. Of course I had the FAA check pilot there. He was the acting GCA controller with a deteriorating weather situation that he set up with me under the hood.RLJR

Guest racerpilot

Im not sure you can expect too much from a joystick that costs more than