Sign in to follow this  
Damian Clark

Project: ActiveSky

Guest RiddlePilot

And wake turbulence, can't go wrong with that.

I should have known. All the bit of freeware upto version 1.5, our suggestions and feedback is only to make a payware in the end. We all have been let down! I will not buy. There is a limit to simulation, and we should not get carried away. We should not get lost in the virtual world. Shri

Fair enough Shri, don't buy it. ActiveSky 1.5 will continue to be available in the avsim libraries, and is a great weather program as it is. The new commercial product has a bunch of new features that will make it an outstanding addon. I'm particularly looking forward to the cloud transistions.

FSMeteo is $29. I live in Canada... that converts to $46 out of my wallet for a weather program with only *some* of the features that ActiveSky wxRE is offering at half the price.I'll survive with simulated winds aloft outside the U.S. to get all the other features I already mentioned in an earlier post.Also, I think there is plenty of room for two weather add-ons to survive together. There's lots of commercial aircraft add-ons out there and I'm sure more than one of the same aircraft type.Until now FSMeteo has been the only game in town. Now ActiveSky has joined the ranks. Look at the features and price of both products and make your own decision. My money will go to ActiveSky.C172_FlyerCYQG

I agree. I wholly support anyone who wishes to charge for their work. I'm not sure why there are people who think that a person who has devoted many hours of their own time to develop a product has to offer that product for free. I've seen this same type of complaint in the racing simulator arena and I've never understood it. I kinda figure that if someone has taken the time to create something nice, they certainly are entitled to charge as much or as little as they care to for it. If someone doesn't want to buy it, that's fine. But don't hassle the guy who has created it just because you want something for nothing. BTW, this is not directed to anyone in particular, but I know there have been many complaints here and elsewhere by people who think they are owed free stuff.

i'm right there with you on that C172! i'm not much of an FSMeteo fan. consider some of the other "things" in life we spend $15 on and this isn't so bad.chris

Ray,What is your home airport? Perhaps there is a problem with the METAR processing there or something I can do to fix this.Many users report the opposite, that the weather is MORE accurate with ActiveSky than anything else out there.There must be some kind of problem/bug and I would love to address it.Also, wxRE has TAF processing which by nature will solve problems with out of date METARs, which also may be why you experienced the problem.Damian ClarkDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activeskyhttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky//images/wxre-banner.jpg

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

I'll bet you worked hard on those suggestions and feedbacks. And now, sheesh, they've been STOLEN....those valuable suggestions and feedback.What's this world coming to.B

You may be right. Each will have its + and - , as always. How many of us have more than one sim (OK, it's getting a little rescticted right now..., or more than one add-on in the same category. On the whole, I think it's good and healthy that people turn their gaze more intently upwards in the sim world. One day, perhaps soon, perhaps in small part thanks to contributions like ActiveSky, we'll be able to post screenies that will look like Cpt. Sidoli's shots!

I think $14.95 is a very reasonable price too. Of course there are addons that dont deserve to be payware and maybe too many programers tried to make money on low quality addons in the recent past, but high quality addons always involve a lot of time and manpower. So its okay to pay for them. regards,Mark / EDDT

well, i have to agree with shri,yes.....AS sounds like its worth the money with these new additions....will there be hand in the pocket monthly upgrades as with the other wx package?but..me as 1000`s of others, have followed the development of this, and this seemed to be a HOBBY in superior FREEWARE wx programming.loads of ppl put forward their ideas, and hopes, thinking this would remmain freeware,...alas..one more tempted by the alure of the

Hi, Activesky is not worthed to buy at all only for couple of month and any $$ upgrade WILL be uselees when Fs2004 came out.Paul

Guest abent

Smooth cloud transitions? Is this real? I have FSMeteo, actually just got it about 3 weeks ago, and I find the transitions instantaneous. A let down, but as I've mentioned in other posts, FSMeteo does what is says it will do. And, yes, I've played with all the settings.Now, does smooth cloud transitions mean that you will fly into distant clouds (in a jet of course) and different weather or will it slowly appear around you? And if the latter, how slowly.I'm skeptical about this whole transition deal. If ActiveSKY guarantees that cloud transitions will be smooth and occur over time, and not like 10 seconds, I will have my wallet out waiting!Adam

Guest dogknot

I know I ran into that a few times myself before I realized that I wasn't 'clearing' the previous weather before activating ActiveSky. It is in the readme docs and I just forgot it. Worked great after that and produced exactly what I was seeing out my window. I don't know if that is relative to what you were experiencing, but that was the fix for me. Happy Flying! :-wave Brent aka 'dogknot'