Sign in to follow this  
Guest C17SimGuy

Pleae help! Another radeon user with a problem

Guest C17SimGuy

Hello everyone, I just installed my Asus Radeon 9800XT. I am ###### to say that it is messed up when it comes to directX. (See attached pic.) Anyone else have this problem? I tried using Asus's drivers that come with the card. . .didn't work. Then installed the ATI Cat3.9s from their website. . .reinstalled directX 9.0b. . .still looks like the pic. What a waste. . .so far.-drewKLGBhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/52627.jpg

Guest CHRISH

Drew,Try running FS2002 if you have tthe same problem, re-install 2004/2002. I have the above system (AMD FX-51 3200) DirectX 9.0b with 9800 ATI Radeon, and do not have these issues.The only problems I have are:1.Very Nosiy Fan ! (like FX 5800)2.Excellent FPS 55 + (up to 150) 800 x 600 !!, but the images are not as sharp as the Nvidia cards. (I am on the verge of swapping it I think for 5950).3.The refresh rates on my Monitor are not good, I can never get the refresh rates above 70 hz at 1280 x 1024 in 32 bit when flying FS2002. Even though my desktop refreshes at 150Hz.Good Luck.Best Wishes,ChrisEGBB

Guest C17SimGuy

Thanks for the info, Chris. I actually tried this which seemed to fix it:Uninstalled 3.9s, rebootreinstalled Dx9.0b rebootdownloaded latest driver from Asus websiteinstalled, rebootedproblem is cleared up now. I do have another question tho for anyone:It looks like the Radeon really isn't as sharp as the Nvidia cards. . .I was previously running a G4Ti4600 and the anti-aliasing work a HECK of a lot better with it and the 52.16 drivers. Is that really the case? I was under the impression that the picture quality is better with a Radeon card but better performance with the Nvidia cards. . .anyone have any comments or can you point me to a thread that clarifies this at all?Thx again!-drewEdit: isn't there some trick about shutting antialiasing and mip-mapping in the sim and forcing it to use the cards capabilities? Edit2: Never mind! I found a stray Radeon entry in the Display secion of the FS9.cfg. When I deleted it, I got full quality AA. . .WOW! This card looks AWESOME NOW!!!

Guest Stratus_Fractus

>Edit: isn't there some trick about shutting antialiasing and>mip-mapping in the sim and forcing it to use the cards>capabilities? >>Edit2: Never mind! I found a stray Radeon entry in the>Display secion of the FS9.cfg. When I deleted it, I got full>quality AA. . .WOW! This card looks AWESOME NOW!!!Can you expand on what that is exactly?

Guest ChkSix

Usually Ati does have an advantage in the IQ department, where Nvidia leads in the performance. Try the Omega Drivers from www.omegacorner.com and see if it makes for better IQ.MikeP4 2.4C @3.44 285FSBAsus P4C800 Deluxe1gb Corsair XMS PC3500 Asus V9950 FX5900 Ultra 256mb 500/950SB Audigy2 Platinum ExWatercooled baby!!!Pics: http://community.webshots.com/user/chksix2002Areyounervousyet.jpg

Guest C17SimGuy

If you turn off Anti-aliasing within the sim (not bi-linear or tri-linear) and then select custom on the 3D tab of your display properties, you can force the anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering to be controlled by the video card instead. There are checkboxes for "application preference" which when un-checked allow the vid card to take over those settings. I'll explain more later if needed.. . I'm tired now. -drewKLGB

Guest Bigshot

>Edit: isn't there some trick about shutting antialiasing and>mip-mapping in the sim and forcing it to use the cards>capabilities? >>Edit2: Never mind! I found a stray Radeon entry in the>Display secion of the FS9.cfg. When I deleted it, I got full>quality AA. . .WOW! This card looks AWESOME NOW!!!________________________________________________________Sounds like you're getting it set up right. Do a search on the forums for recommended settings. One of the most important things is to run det destroyer or the like to get rid of any Nvidia driver leftovers and to start out with a fresh FS9 Cfg file. You should be seeing IQ that knocks your socks off if you were used to a Ti4600. You should also be seeing 2 to 3 times the speed with 4AA or 6xAA & 16xAF. Don't be afraid to max out them in game graphics sliders.