Sign in to follow this  
Guest HansGroenewold

Just got a Radeon 9700 Pro

Guest HansGroenewold

Greetings,I wish I could be singing the praises of the 9700. I just got it partly on what I've read here and I can't get it work properly. Here's what I've done so far:1. Installed the latest AGP driver for my motherboard (SIS645)as the manual requests before installing the new card.2. Un-installed old drivers completely before removing the old card.3. Installed new card with supplied install disc, didn't work.4. Removed original drivers and installed latest drivers, didn't work.5. Changed screen resolutions and refresh rates, didn't work.6. Changed the AGP aperture around several times, didn't work.7. Put my old ATI 64MB card back in and went through the whole cycle again.I posted on the rage3d.com forum but haven't heard anything back yet. There are not a lot of happy campers there and had I done some reading there before buying this card, I probably would have gotten the TI4600. Check out the screen-shot and see if anyone can tell me what this may be. This was my first screenshot, I'll post another one in the next post to show how much worse it is now. Here's my system specs for troubleshooting references:Pentium 4 2.4 GHZElite Group L4S5M Motherboard with SIS 645 Chipset768 MB DDR SDRAM PC2700Thank you,Hans Groenewold

Guest HansGroenewold

Greetings,Here is the other screenshot showing how much worse it is now. I'm hoping that this is something I'll be able to rectify soon. As it stands now, the card is of no use to me. I knew there were some install issues, but come on? So what do I do now, reinstall the same stuff I've been uninstalling and reinstalling and hope that it gets better? What a letdown..............Hans Groenewold

Guest HansGroenewold

I'll give you a good deal on the one I got yesterday, I'm not impressed so far.Hans

simplegive the card back and get a Geforcelong be the "force" with you :-lol

ok i will check my mail when i get home from work tonight

Hans,In your list you didnt mention re-installing DirectX after vid driver installation. Maybe give that a try, you never know.CJ PuttKTPA

HansGroenewold,That looks like it could a be a heat problem. Artifacts like that are common when overclocking videocards too far, for example.Some early ATI cards had the heatsink and fan incorrectly attached to the processor, causing it to overheat. It may also be caused by faulty video memory. In either case, you'd need to contact ATI, or the company that made your ATI card if it's a "Powered by ATI", describe the problem and request a replacement card.Another likely cause could be the power supply not supplying enough power to the card, in that case you'd need a better power supply unit.Just to be on the safe side, you should also try wiping off your Windows system partition completely and reinstall from scratch, just in case some leftover driver is causing conflicts.One more thing, is your motherboard capable of supporting AGP8x? Some early revisions of the Radeon also had problems with using AGP8x.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest HansGroenewold

JimmimG,I will check out the items you listed. I'm going to take the PC in to someone who has more knowledge about this than me. What did Clint Eastwood say? " A man's got to know his limitations" I'm no slouch when it comes to PC's, but his is beyond me. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks for your help.Hans

Guest HansGroenewold

JimmiG,I checked what you suggested and my power pack is rated at 300 watts. My mother board has one 4X AGP slot and three PCI slots . The ATI box says it's 2X 4X 8X AGP compatible so I assume the specs are OK. I haven't tried the install of DirectX but will try that also. Do you run version 9.0, I have version 8.1 now? Since the display problem only exists in FS2002 and GTA III, would it be safe to assume there is a game conflict somwhere that can be resolved? I'm sending an E-mail to ATI also and hope I get a response.Thanks,Hans