Sign in to follow this  
Bill_Browning

Motherboard Audio question

I notice that a lot of motherboards have integrated sound these days. Many advertise "4 channel" or even "6 channel" audio codecs. When I look at the output jacks on the board, all I see are audio in, audio out, and mic.My speakers have two plugs - one for the front two speakers and one for the back two speakers. How does one hook them up with only one out jack?Best,Bill

Guest Rich

Bill,This can be really simple (depending on your motherboard and software).You normally have two options - Some motherboards have a header that you can plug another 'bracket' into which has more sockets etc. The easier and perhaps better option is with software that converts the line-in and mic socket into a line-out socket (or just the line-in depending on what you need). You simply enter the software and tell it whether you want 4 or 6 channel audio and it changes the sockets for you. Most motherboard manufacturers have software for their motherboards on-board sound.If you can let me know what motherboard you have I can hopefully give you a more defined answer.Hope that helps!Rich.

Guest Rich

Bill,It should be pretty simple to do it with software with an MSI motherboard. If you haven't already installed the drivers you can find them on the installation CD or here - http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97...8&Software=TrueThere is a section at the back of the motherboard manual that explains exactly how to reconfigure the sockets from inputs to outputs etc. If you haven't got the manual you can download it from here - http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/manu...36&NAME=MS-6570Look at page A14 --> A-18 (thereabouts). It explains what you are trying to achieve. Basically it is a case of installing the software (if you haven't already) and configuring the software (click the audio icon then speaker setup etc). I hope that's OK it's getting late here - it's 04:30 GMT local (still waiting for Santa).Let me know if it doesn't work and we'll get it sorted out.Happy Christmas!Rich.

Ah, I see. The sound was disabled in the bios. It has a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card installed. That's why I did not see all the settings you mentioned. (I have no manual or cd - well, I do now.)Thanks!Best,Bill