Sign in to follow this  
Guest nitram

AMD 3200 64 and KVM switch problem

Guest nitram

I have a NEW 64 bit pc networked to my original 2400XP machine.Both work sharing files perfectly.The problem is that the Broadband connection drops the DSL layer when the new client machine is switched on. At first I thought it was an IP conflict, firewall, or incorrect bridge connection, but it still drops dsl if the Lan cable is unplugged and I power up the client machine. The only connection I have is the auto switching roline KVM switch.Has anyone else had a problem via a KVM switch?Problem Number 2 is that I tried about 10 times to load FS9 onto the 64 bit machine only to have it reboot several times at different points of the loading and on different discs. I finally got it loaded and it now has scenery loading errors. When I did get the default 737 off the runway, FS9 crashed to the desktop. Has anyone else had this aswell?Also my Philips USB speakers appear and disappear from the device manager.You see I am about to Smash my PC to pieces or run it over!4 days of frustration and not so much as a flight!ECS 755-A motherboardGeforce 5200 256MB Graphics2 X 512MB Kingston Memory160GB HardriveCH pedals and Yoke

Guest B742FAN

hmmm.. send it my way and I'll take a look at it before ya smash it.. at the very least I'll take that CPU off your hands :) :)Can't speak to the DSL issue, but I would run memtest for 10 or 15 minutes and see if it comes up with errors. Just to make sure its not an issue with the ram.__Josh

Guest orenda635

Very odd problems indeed. I have nearly the same system except I have a much less beefy CPU and less RAM. What OS are you running. Windows XP and Mac OS X are the only 64-bit operating systems as of yet, and obviously your not running OS X.It is true that FS is not a 64 bit program but I don't see why that should matter because most programs aren't as of yet.You may have to erase and repartition your hard disk and reinstall Windows XP. HOWEVER, before you do anything so drastic, talk to the people who you bought your system from.

Guest nitram

Thanks for the input guys.I will try the Memory test you suggest as it does seem like a Memory problem as to missing scenery etc. I have used Sisoft Sandra to Bench mark the Memory and it always returns the same results. Perhaps Memtest will give the memory a really good Bashing and find the problem. I have ordered a different KVM switch (rotary switch type) in case that my auto kvm switch may have some problems. Maybe one of the cables is not completely releasing one of the PC's and there is some sort of voltage cross over. I am running the PC on the conventional 32 bit operating system for now, although I have downloaded the Free trial 64 bit Beta version. I am reluctant to install it yet, until manufacturers of drivers catch up with this new version of windows. Seeing how FS9 is 32 bit anyway, this is probably not an issue. The only reason I built this machine is that my older PC is running so many other programs. This Machine will have FS9 and Xp, period. Early indications are that this is one smooth Machine (when it works that is!!!)

Are you using an external router or one of the computers as the router? If using one of the computers as the router, I recommend getting an external router that assigns the IP addresses as each computer is brought on-line.DSL Modem --> Router/Switch with Ports (wired/wireless) --> multiple computers (wired/wireless).W. Sieffert

Guest nitram

Update:Faulty Memory caused the loading problem. I have removed one 512MB memory for now.I have reloaded FS9 and it seems to work fine, although smoother the Frame rates do not seem much higher than my XP2400. I will need to do a few more tweaks.As to the router, I am still convinced that my problem with the internet is caused by the KVM switch. As I said in my first post, the internet DSL layer is dropped even if the Lan cable is un-plugged. I have ordered a new 'rotary' kvm switch and I will try that first.I will keep you guys posted, perhaps this might help someone else with the same problems later on.Regards Nitram

Guest nitram

Appears that new kvm switch has the same effect even if the lan is disconnected. I have ordered a router/modem as suggested. I think that some sort of voltage difference between the two PC's is interfering with my internal DSL modem. The fact that the lan shares files properly leads me to believe that the modem on the network will work aswell. I will keep you postedRegards Nitram