Sign in to follow this  

PHOTOSHOP 7 vs. COREL DRAW 11

Hi friends,I am wondering whether (1) Photoshop 7 and Corel Draw 11 are painting/drawing programs. If so, which is better?(2) If I buy Adobe PSD 7, is it necessary to buy Adobe Illustrator 10?I paint in my freetime (????:-hah!!!! no freetime these days.... :-( )and would like your help. ThanksDr. Jinesh ThomasResident in Internal MedicineGauhati Medical collegeINDIA.

Howdy!Photoshop is a professional image editing program while Corel Draw is a package of illustration related programs. Corel Paint is an image editing program that used to be a part of the package but at least in my version 11 it's gone. Adobe Illustrator is a direct competitor to Corel Draw. I use both but prefer Corel Draw for my purposes (making ads). Photoshop is mainly a bitmap editing tool while Corel and Illustrator are geared at vector editing. Personally I use Macromedia Fireworks most of the time since it can handle both bitmap and vectors equally good and has some very nice html-capabilities (especially together with Dreamweaver).Photoshop is regarded as the best image editing software you can get, but at a very high price. You would do equally fine with Paint Shop Pro from JASC www.jasc.com and that costs only 99 dollars. Many tutorials on painting aircrafts are based on using Paintshop Pro.Hope these personal opinions answers some of your questionRegards,Krister

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Thanks very much Krister.I had a trial version of PSP, but it has now expired. I guess, I shall go for PSD 7. (I used to be using PSD 6 on my friend's computer.) That shall suit me fine. Thanks again very much.Jinesh.

Hello,I am wondering if there are any tutorials available to paint A/C using Photoshop 6 or 7? jim

Guest TIngalls

Jinesh,you may want to look into Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 (Photoshops little brother). It contains everything you'd need for Aircraft repainting, scenery design and even digital imaging. (It edits in RGB. Does not include 4 color process separation).I use it for touching up my digital photos and it works great. Haven't done much playing with plane repaints.Cheers,-T[table][tr][td]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td]Todd IngallsMember of [link:members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=5E79C613-0A60-4A3B-BDC1-F9EE49F2D4FE]Join the AVSIM Team Fight Against Cancer!][/td][/tr][/table.----BEGIN FS CODE BLOCK----G:EDDM(DE) a R- FS+(--) F++ P U++ X C+ H+>++ O+ V-- A+(++) SP?>+++-----END FS CODE BLOCK-----

Guest rlefebvr

Corel has a very good paint program that comes with it's package and is not just a design program ala Illustrator. So the previous statement is a little wrong.That being said, only a fool would choose Corel over Photoshop unless money is a concern.Second post is also right. If you are only going to use this to paint planes, the SE version may be more than enough for you. Photoshop although second hand to me has quite a learning curve on it.It all depends on how much you are going to pay for the programs.If you can get Photoshop for a good price, do not hesitate a moment, you will not regret it.RonCVA1701

I use Photoshop 6 to do my repainting as I already had it for my photography editing.I second the opinion that you either try PaintShop Pro or Photoshop Elements as they are much cheaper and offer everything you'll need for repainting (mainly layering ability).

I find that both work great until the file size gets big. When the image gets up to...say....80mb in size, then photoshop is the tool to use. Don't know why...but Corel works VERY poorly with big files. While photoshop just slows down a bit, but otherwise, it chunks along just fine.My tuppence.B

Thanks for your replies Gurus.I guess, I shall buy PSD 7 with the money I am earning as a resident.--------------------------Datthew, I suggest you log on to www.cadtutor.net. It is nothing about FS2002 but IT HAS SEVERAL GOOD LINKS THAT TEACH YOU ABOUT LAYERS AND ABOUT PEN TOOL.Also do a search at google. You can also study the paint shop pro techniques and when you have got the technique behind it use it for photoshop.MOST IMPORTANT IS YOUR WILLINGNESS TO DEVOTE TIME for this hobby and familiarise with the umpteen buttons. I started with painting an aircraft with Pixia and ended up with nothing..... NO TIME!!RegardsJinesh.

Jinesh,Hey, thanks for the information, I agree the most important thing, as in many things, is the willingness learn and to devote the time. What the heck, I'm retired now and have the time.jim