Sign in to follow this  
Guest alex_m

"Run-time error 62"

Guest j-mo

I get this message every time I boot up my comp. (WinXP), followed by a description of "Input past end of file". Not sure what this means or how to get rid of it. Advice?Alex M.

Try starting WinXP in safe mode. Start your computer, press the F8 key after the initial black DOS screens and before the Windows screen appears. Once you get to the selection screen, select one of the safe modes, let it stabilize to the Windows Desktop Screen (it will look odd since the resolution is basic) and see if you have the same error. If not, you are loading something during the normal Windows start that may or may not be a virus, data miner, or ad file.I would start the computer, download the latest virus check files and Adaware - http://www.lavasoft.de/ , conduct a complete virus and adaware check.Otherwise, you need to see with processes and/or applications are starting during normal Windows start. Press CTRL+ALT+Delete to open the Windows Task Manager.W. Sieffert

Guest j-mo

Thanks so much for the quick response. I tried to make a project of this today, but... getting frustrated.Update:1)When I start XP in safe mode, no message.2)D/L-ed Adaware (thanks for pointing me), ran it (it found lots of stuff) still getting the message upon reboot.3)Ran updated virus check (PC-cillin) and it always finds a virus with this description: "C:System Volume Informatiom_restore{string}A00xxxx.exe"where the xxxx are sequential numbers. There will be at least 2 entries, but has been as many as 115. The are 2 virus names: ADW_RULEDOR.C and TROJ_SMALL.EU. These names alternate down the items in the list. PC-cillin says it cannot delete them, so it quarantines them. It seems that every time I run the virus check (I've run it 8-10 times today), the {string} values are different from previous checks, but always the same for a given check.I've tried locating the strings manually in the registry and deleting them, and have used a registry cleaner. I continue to get similar results when I subsequently check for virii.I'm unsure of what to do next. Do I need a different virus-killer?Thanks to anyone who can advise!Alex M.

I would visit your virus company site and see if there are specific instructions to eliminating the virus.As a last resort, Press start, Control Panel, System, System Restore tab, and enable "Turn off system restore on all drives". The hazards of doing this is, Windows will delete everything on each disk drives "System Volume Information" and you will lose any ability to restore to an earlier restore point. In your case, this may be a plus. Once you get your problem corrected, disable this setting.Otherwise, as a last, last resort, you might have to reformat your disk drive containing Windows and reinstall Windows.W. Sieffert

Guest j-mo

W-Thanks again for the advice!After a few more hours of effort I'm still having difficulty eliminating these guys (they are file virii). Other than the message at Start-Up, I don't detect that they are doing anything malicious. I will wait and deliberate before enabling "Turn off system restore on all drives" as I'm unsure af all the pros/cons of this action.Have just updated my video drivers to nVidia 62.12. If I turn off the system restore, will I lose the option of rolling back to the previous driver?Thanks again for your suggestions. I've not had to deal with any virus infections before this.Alex M.

Yes, you lose the ability to restore since turning off the restore function deletes the folders that contain all the restore data.If the drivers are working correctly, not causing any undue problems that are noticeable, then turning off the restore shouldn't be a problem. You can always use the Control Panel, Add/Remove programs menu to remove the graphics drivers, WinXP will then use the default drivers until you install updated drivers.W. Sieffert

Guest j-mo

... still getting the same message when I reboot. Or am I supposed to take some action after disabling system restore in control panels? Sorry, I must seem like quite a neophyte about all this.Thanks!Alex M.

It should have deleted all the entries in the C:System Volume Information folder. If it did not, then try deleting it manually. If it will not allow you to delete it manually, start the computer in Safe Mode, then delete it.What exactly is the error message when you boot the computer? Here is what I found at Microsoft for the "Run-time error 62".http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;142246Have you installed any Visual Basic files to your computer. If so, you might need to update the versions you installed.W. Sieffert

Guest j-mo

I viewed the MS link. doesn't help me. I don't have Visual Basic.I'm attaching jpgs of the error message plus one other message that I didn't think was related, but not I'm not sure. I don't know how to manually delete entries in the System Volume Information folder (I can't locate a folder by that name in my C drive, even viewing hidden files/folders). A short hint would be appreciated. Thanks!Alex M.1. Run-time error '62' Input past end of file2. (from Trend PC-Cillin) Real-time I/O service does not work Please check the Services applet in the Windows control panel

If you disabled the restore function, all of the System Volume Information folders are deleted by Windows. When you enable the restore function, Windows will place new System Volume Information folders on each disk drive.For the first error, I still think it may be related to visual basic. I understand you may not have installed visual basic on your computer but you do have some visual basic *.dlls and other vb files in your Windowssystem32 folder. It could be something that you installed changed one of the files and is causing the problem.A second thing you could try is press Start, Run..., type MSCONFIG, OK. It should open the systems configuration utility menu window. Select the startup tab, deselect all or most of the files listed for startup (boot-up). Restart the computer and see if you get the error. If not, one of the files is causing the problem. Enter the utility again, reselect each file one at a time to see when the error occurs upon computer restart. When it occurs, deselect the last file enabled, restart your computer and see if the error occurs. Make sure you check all the remaining files for problems but leave the problematic file disabled during the remaining checks. If all the other files work correctly and don't cause the error, enable the problematic file and see if it still causes the problem. If so, you need to find out what program the file belongs, uninstall the program, update the program, reinstall the program, OR leave it disabled.For the second error, I think your copy of PC-Cillin has become corrupted. You might try uninstalling it and reinstalling. Make sure you have your Key or Password, if they require one. I don't know of a default "Services" applet in Windows control panel. It may be part of PC-Cillin. Ah ha! - http://solutionbank.trendmicro.com/solutio...olutionID=10166 W. Sieffert

Guest j-mo

I don't know how to say "Thank You!" emphatically enough. I no longer have any messages when I start up.The "Run 62" message is tied to a file called "AStart" (jpg attached). Since I don't know exactly what this is (hope it's not Ken's FSAutoStart), I chose to leave it disabled in MSconfig.The Trend Micro link gave me a dll to download that fixes a bug having to do with updating anti-virus files. Even though I followed their instructions to the "T," I had to work through several restarts before my "Real-time I/O..." message stopped appearing at startup. Currently PC-Cillin prompts me to d/l the same latest file update whenever I am online, but I'll get this handled on my own or with trend Micro's help.You, sir, are an extremly bright scholar and outstanding gentleman (I'm assuming- I only know your initial "W"). I feel deeply indebted for your willing assistance. If you are ever going to be in Phoenix, AZ, let me know. I'll gladly pick up the tab for drinks and/or a meal.You have my sincerest gratitude. I learned a lot from working through this with your guidance.Alex M.

Guest j-mo

FYI...Went to Sony.com tonight because I want to update my audio driver. I just updated my nVidia driver to 61.12 and it seems that FS9 gives me a CTD 2.5 to 3 hrs into a flight, so I figure I should probably update all my drivers and see if that resolves the problem.While there, I notice they also have a software update page, so I looked it over. 24 items. Item number 9: "Real-time I/O..." fix for PC-Cillin!Ahhhhh... x( ... the frustration!Still no more messages upon booting... I may roll back my video driver if I can't stabilize FS9 soon.Cheers! :-beerchug Alex M.