Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anthony_D

LCD screens - is the Samsung 172x any good?

Guest Anthony_D

Afternoon all,After 4 years, my 2nd hand 15 inch CRT monitor is still going strong. However, I've had my eye on getting a snazzy new flat panel display and frankly that CRT is looking like an eyesore in my living room!Now that an LCD panel has climbed to the top of my shopping list, I've almost set my heart on the Samsung 172x. With the Hercules Prophetview screens seemingly extint, it appears that there's no other competition out there for a compbination of aesthetics and display performance.So my question: What's the Samsung 172x like? I've read countless reviews and they all say it's great - no ghosting of images. However digging through the forum archives under the search term "172x", one person said there was ghosting when taking off on the runways - and he recommended an NEC flat panel screen instead. However, I read the internet and notice that there was an older Samsung 172x with 16ms response time rather than 12ms (I believe Tomshardware quoted something like "catastrophic rendering in games" for the 16ms variant).So here, I'm reffering to the 12ms variant. What are the colours like - good enough for amateur photo editing? Any problems with dead pixels? What are your experiences of ghosting in games like fs2004? More to the point "would the display be a visual improvement over my 1024x768 15inch CRT?". I regard my CRT as having good brightness and accurate colours - but that fanda dash 8 panel looks like it needs a bigger screen.Feedback appreciatedAnthony

I had one some months ago. Mixed emotions; in 2D really outstanding. In FS9, not so impresive. Colors are really beatiful, but there was something wrong in FS9. With the runway textures, in the take off roll, it produced a lot of stutters. I run it with DVI-D mode (cable and ATI 9800XT.Currently I have a NEC 1760NX (16 ms and DVI-D). Really impresive in FS9 and another games. The panel is from AU Optronics and some other models from Hitachi, Viewsonic, BENQ... use this panel in their high-end models.BTW, the 172X has a beautiful design. This is my personal opinion, but I couldn

Guest jetBlue_83

Well...I have the 172x. I use it alot, it replaced a CRT I had and I must say, I don't regret it. The percieved smoothness in FS9 depends on the display settings you have (my own experience). I find that the 172x is smooth and stutter free, with MINIMAL ghosting. Matter of fact, I don't really notice it unless I REALLY look for it. I also play Unreal Tournament 2004 (Multiplayer, Online) with it, and it's as smooth as silk. In 2D, however, I noticed that there was some flicker; I also run it in DVI-D mode. it doesn't bother me that much, but it is noticeable.By the way, there is a difference between the 16ms and the 12ms panel. I have the 12ms panel.

Guest LPPT

Did you take a look at the NEOVO TFT/LCD screens !!!I have the F419 19" DVI with a X800pro...Very impressive (15/10 ms) and FS9 runs like a charme !!!My previous CRT was a Samtron 96BDF 19" but with the Neovo's i spend the doudle of time in the sim...can you imagine why ???Paulo MarquesLPPT

Guest Anthony_D

>With the runway textures, in the take off roll, it produced a lot of >stutters. I run it with DVI-D mode (cable and ATI 9800XT.I'm still on my current CRT but I experienced "ground only" stutters just yesterday. I've made a fuller post describing the problem here but it looks similar to what you described above.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...13611&mode=full