Sign in to follow this  
Guest hj6as4

What should I upgrade?

Guest hj6as4

Hello everyone. I have around $160 to spend and was wondering what component I should upgrade to improve my framerates. My computer specs are:AMD 2400+ (166 x 12.5)ASUS A7N8X DLX motherboard512 Megs of DDR40080 gigabyte hard driveGeforce4 Ti4200Should I upgrade to a 3 gigahertz (3000+) processor, add more memory, or get a new videocard (ATI 9800 pro)? My friend let me borrow his ATI 9800 pro videocard for a couple of days and to be honest with you, I hardly saw any improvements in framerates. I was actually pretty shocked to see that framerates didn't improve as much as I thought it would have. All I saw was an improvement in the visual quality of the graphics (AA/AF), and the ability to run FS2004 at higher resolutions. So in my opinion, I don't think a videocard upgrade will significantly improve my framerates. However, will a 3 gigahertz processor improve my framerates? Is it even worth it to spend 100 or so dollars to get an AMD XP 3000+? Please help me.

Guest kilo_sierra17

First of all a 3000+ is not 3 GHZ, it's only 2.2. But I would upgrade the video card, yes the 3000+ would be faster but for a big improvement, its the video card that needs to be faster. A 9800PRO is a good choice in my opinion.