Sign in to follow this  
Guest TerryT

Good LCD for FS2004?

Guest TerryT

My AOC 9Glr (19") CRT is getting a little tired (7 years old). I am seeing some wavey lines at the edges of the monitor and have been considering upgrading to a SyncMasterTM 213T-Black (21 inch monitorhttp://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/pro...=SpecificationsComp USA has them for $899 (less tax) after a $100 manufacture rebate. My computer shop has them for $1300 I can return it with no questions asked there. At Comp USA, I have always had problems returning items especially if they were opened.Is there anyone out there using this model LCD with FS9?Terry

I am using "an" LCD, but not this model. I have had good luck with mine, and I wouldn't trade it for the world.Have you done a lot of business with the smaller shop? See if they will allow you to try it out - it may invovlve buying it and returning it - or even bringing your desktop into the shop to try it there.You can check with CompUSA to see if they will allow you to bring your desktop in to plug into their floor model. (I've done that before, but I also worked there in the past and knew the floor manager)I would think that a store interested in your purchase would allow you to test the monitor (either at your home or in the store) with your hardware and primary program.-Greg

Hi Terry,I have had a 213T (silver) for 11 months now. It truly is amazing! The picture quality and sharpness just takes your breath away. I run FS9 and everything else for that matter at 1600 x 1200 on a Radeon 9800 Pro using the DVI connector. Ghosting is really not an issue for me on this screen, except in very fast FPS games, which I just don't play anyway. For FS9 it's perfect. I also play Operation Flashpoint and Winning Eleven 7 with no ghosting problems. Just remember that you pretty much have to run everything at 1600 x 1200 or else it looks 'fuzzy'. Get it, you won't regret it. I paid $1100 for mine when I got it, so $899 is a good deal.For comparison purposes, my CATIA station at work has a 22" ViewSonic P225f CRT which I rate highly, but the 213T simply blows it away.Good Luck!Glenn

Guest TerryT

Thank you both for the input.Glenn, I have a question on the 1600 x 1200 resolution setting.Does that make the text extreamly small and hard to read?Right now I run my desktop/web browser on the 19" crt at 800 x 600 but run FS2004 at 1280 x 960. My vision is not real good (only one eye)as I need fairly large type to see. How much fuzz/distortion would I get on the LCD if I used those settings?Terry

Hi Terry,With the VERY large size of the screen, the 1600 x 1200 is no problem for me, but I do have good vision. The text size is very similar to that of say 1024 x 768 on a 19" screen.The native resolution of the 213T is 1600 x 1200 and any other setting than this will show noticable fuzz/distortion. The only suggestion I could make is to increase the icon / font size from within Windows itself rather than mess with the resolution setting. I got mine from Best Buy and they were very helpful in letting me test out the demo model before I purchased. Maybe you could do something like that before you part with your cash...Hope this helps,Regards,Glenn

Guest TerryT

Hi Glenn, Maybe if I increase the font size through windows like you suggest, then I would be able to read the text comfortably. I can see it at 1024 x 768 but is pretty small. For over 40 years I was very nearsighted and last Janurary I had cataract surgery on my good eye. Now I can see OK in the distant but my close up (reading) is not so good.Terry

Hi Terry,I have just tried increasing the font size to extra large and the icon size to extra large in the display properties on Windows XP.I think you will be fine. It looks really good and you still get the overall clarity and sharpness of the very high resolution. I promise you amazing results if you run at 1600 x 1200 with the DVI (it defaults to this setting anyway) connection and you will never look at a CRT monitor again. Also, the real estate that I have reclaimed on my desk is worth its weight in gold. The strain on your vision should be much better with this LCD panel too. There are some great reviews of the 213T out on the web. Check them out as well before you buy. I looked at an HP 19" panel before I got this one, but I am VERY glad I opted for this one. Let me know how it works out....Regards,Glenn

Guest TerryT

Thanks Glenn for taking the time to check out the larger font sizes on your screen. As for gaining more space on the desktop, yes that will be a plus. On the other hand, my cats will really be mad at me because they will not be able to lay on top of the monitor to stay warm.Terry

Hi Terry,Did you decide on the new monitor?Regards,Glenn

Guest TerryT

Glenn, Yes I did and after having emergency root canals (x2) the monitor will have to be put on hold.Terry

I can add another testiment to the 213T as I bought one about 3 weeks ago. It really is quite a beauty & handles Flight Sim far better than I had expected. Infact I feel it has a better image quality than my Samsung 900NF CRT (& that's a good quality CRT).I was hesitent making the move to LCD, but now that I have the 213T I don't regret it one bit :)