Sign in to follow this  
Guest mkuebeler

Athlon64 system assembly tips?

Guest mkuebeler

I will soon be building my first AMD system after many years of using Intel-based systems. I built the last 4-5 Intel systems myself, and the heatsink/fan attachment on the last one was almost a no brainer. Any advice on attaching the HSF to an Athlon64 S939 system? Frankly, I don't even know what to expect yet, though I will be taking my time and thinking carefully about what I'm doing. I ordered the retail version of the CPU (3500+), and I was just going to use the included HSF (I have no desire to mess with overclocking, so I'm hoping it will be able to handle the heat) but I was planning to use some Arctic Silver 3 that I bought for my last system and ended up not using at all. Any tips, wishes of good luck, or prayers to the diety of your choice would be most appreciated! :)Mark Kuebeler

Mark, Currently rebuilding my AMD 2400+ to the same specs you mention. Will be ordering a pre-tested MOBO/CPU combo from Monarch Computers in Tucker, Georgia USA..... The CPU fan on the retail version should be sufficient for cooling according to the people I have checked with. But I also have some good case fans running ... Also make sure to get the newer AMD 64 3500+ 90nm {939} version as it runs much cooler than the straight 64 3500+.... My plans below.Abit AV8 3rd Eye K8T800 MOBOAMD 64 3500+ 90nm 939 CPU1GB Corsair DDR 3200 MemorySure hope we are both Happy with this upgrade..........JayDub

Guest kilo_sierra17

I just built my Athlon64 system last week and it was very easy, I also bought the retail box version, the only thing is make sure you clean the standard thermal paste off well then apply Arctic Silver. Other then that just like any other system, once the CPU is in heatsink gets set, snap it in and then lock it and your good to go.

Yup, snaping the HSF on the Athlon64's is a very easy process.Just read the instruction sheet (included w/ retail box CPU's) before you do it & you'll have it on in no time. Some 3rd party HSF's may be a little more complicated to attatch due to a few more steps being required, but they too should still be fairly easy to attach.

Guest mkuebeler

Cool! As I recall with the P3 system I built the HSF had these spring clips that had to be levered into place with a screwdriver, and I had a helluva time getting it on, whereas with the last P4 you just had to slide the HSF into this plastic bracket and flip a couple levers to lock it down.Mark Kuebeler

Yeah the new clip design for the Ath64's is much like that of the ones for the P4's. (In otherwords, very simple).I still have nightmares about trying to clip on HSF's onto the AthlonXP's. There's just something about having to use a screwdriver & that much force that never seem'd quite right to me :)

Guest mkuebeler

My research indicated that the Winchester core was preferable, but alas I ordered the CPU from NewEgg over the weekend and they did not have the retail version of the 3500+ with Winchester core, only the OEM and that was about $80 more, so I settled for a Newcastle.It's funny, though, on Monday I was talking with a co-worker who had just ordered the exact system you're getting, and ordered it from Monarch, too. He also ordered the Winchester and said he went with the pre-assembled CPU/MB combination specifically to avoid the risk of ruining the CPU due to an improperly installed or defective HSF. That's what got me to worrying about the assembly. Anyway, Monarch's prices were within a few dollars of what the components cost me from NewEgg, and I've bought a lot of stuff from them over the past few years, so I was comfortable with them. However, Monarch was showing the retail 3500+ Winchester at about the same price as NewEgg's OEM version, and Monarch's OEM was much less. So I may be going to Monarch for my next upgrade. :)Mark Kuebeler

Guest Terry_ABQ

Mark, I too am thinking about going back to the AMD chip once Windows 64 bit OS comes out. You might consider one of these "Small/Quite" systems from Shuttle. http://vr-zone.com/?i=1384&s=1 Right now I have this big old aluminum case spinning six cooling fans plus two more in the 550 watt ps, one on the cpu (P4 2.8 GHz HT), and one on the Radion 9800 pro. Needless to say, it is pretty noisy plus takes up a lot of floor space. Now that AMD seems to have a handle on the heat cooling thing with the heat pipe and extra large cooling fan, going to a smaller box makes sense to me.Terry

I have been looking at Monarch Computers as well. However, I have two questions. 1> They use Shin-Etsu thermal grease; how good is it? 2> Their best heatsink fan combo is the Thermaltake A1772 offered with the Abit AV8 90mm A64 3000+ combo I am looking to buy; how good is the Thermaltake A1772 for overclocking the super overclockable 90mm A64 3000+ chip?RH

Guest Wichita
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/wic...-118-101-07.jpgI pass on the fan and HS they send. I used one of these Zalmans on a system I built for my daughters a year ago. The work great and are quiet. This one is for the Socket A boards,they have a different one for the AMD 64's. Use Artic Silver for the grease and you'll be ok...David