Sign in to follow this  
fbobum

Motherboad and cooling...

I'm thinking of upgrading my system case. My current case has a single exhaust fan. The case I'm contemplating has one intake and two exhaust fans. My mobo (an MSI K7N2, for now) has a single 3-pin connector for the fan. I'm confused on how this would (could?) work as far as monitoring fan speed/rpm? Does one 3-pin plug into the other and then into the board? Does a board support more than one fan? I'd appreciate some input regarding this. Thanks for your time.

Hi Rick,it depends on the case you're getting, but in all likelihood the case fans will connect to the 4-pin power connectors from the power supply, and not the motherboard connector, so you'll probably lose the case fan monitor.Cheers,Gosta.http://www.hifisim.com/images/as2betateam.jpg

Guest sb55mv

Hi Rick,you might even want to consider water cooling, it's not even complicated now, the kits you can buy are very very good,I made my own variation out of a mixture of industrial air line pipe, and a Black Ice Extreme Radiator thats actually mounted Out-Side below the window ledge,it has a cover over it to stop any rain getting onto the two 120mm fans, and a cover at the front to stop direct sunlight also, but it has got vents on the side which lets the air flow freely through it. and the pipe is all 1/2", so theres a great flow rate through it, the pump, a Hydor 20 is very powerful and cost about

Thanks, guys for your feedback. In looking the prospective case over, I notice the i/o panel on the back does not match up with my motherboard (I have 4 USB ports, the case only offers 2). Is this something I can get from the board's manufacturer? Thanks again.

No, I actually need another I/O panel. Easy to assume, isn't it? ;-) I do not have the panel that came with the board; it was misplaced while moving compenents across town. That is why I asked if the manufacturer would be the place to look?... Thanks.

No, it isn't. I'm using the system I upgraded from previously. No matter; I've purchased a new board and am waiting to take delivery. Thanks again...