Sign in to follow this  
Cee-Jaay

Time to switch from AGP?

Ok folks here's the deal.I'm planning on getting a new mobo/CPU and have been thinking of the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum/AMD Athlon 64 3200. The thing is my current Graphics card is a Sapphire (Radeon) 9800Pro Atlantis (which I've had for about a year).But I'm wondering if spending 400 quid on pursuing the AGP route will be wasted, if Dual PCI is the way to go now, especially with WinXP 64 on the horizon?Any advice would be appreciated.Rgds,Chris.

Guest Wichita

>Ok folks here's the deal.>>I'm planning on getting a new mobo/CPU and have been thinking>of the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum/AMD Athlon 64 3200. The thing is>my current Graphics card is a Sapphire (Radeon) 9800Pro>Atlantis (which I've had for about a year).>>But I'm wondering if spending 400 quid on pursuing the AGP>route will be wasted, if Dual PCI is the way to go now,>especially with WinXP 64 on the horizon?>>Any advice would be appreciated.>>Rgds,>Chris.So far PCIe hasn't gone blazing by AGP as far as fps go,but its the way I think all graphic cards are headed. I wonder in a year if AGP cards will even be offered.One nice thing is that the prices have dropped to about the same as AGP cards or sometimes even less. Dual PCIe-SLI will work great but its expensive and a program has to be written to take advantage of the two cards. Will FS10 be written for SLI?? Who knows....David

Cheers for the replys.My existing system suffered a hard disk crash last week, which forced the issue of an upgrade. Having to fork-out for a new disk effectively rules out mass re-engineering to PCI this time around. So the bits i've gone for are:MSI K8N Neo2 PlatinumAMD Athlon 64 3200Corsair TWINX1024-3200XL XPERT TwinX (2x512) 1GB Dual Channel KitWestern Digital Raptor 10000RPM 74GB 8MB SATA(and slotting in my trusty Sapphire 9800Pro Atlantis).Ta,Chris.