Sign in to follow this  

last minute runway change by ATC

I remember some threads on this topic before. Recently,I notice that FS2K2 ATC often change runway after switchingto tower at final. It appears something related with weathergeneration add-on like FSMETEO with real time weather updateoption enabled. Option in FSMETEO to lock destination weatheris also enabled with distance value 60NM but still it happens.No parmanent solution for this problem? Even if not, whatwill be the second best to rectify this anoying issue.Thank you

As I understand it, and have seen for myself, the sim provides ATC direction for landing while you are at altitide based on the weather and the winds at your altitude, not at the destination. As you descend down, with real weather loaded, the surface winds can be, and often are, different than the winds aloft. Since the sim does not provide accurate landing information until you are in the terminal environment, you find yourself contacting the tower and being told to establish yourself for a runway different than the one you set up for. It is a flaw in the system.You would expect that since the sim knows your destination it would consider that weather only. At altitude you can check this for yourself. If you know the TAF weather already, tune the ATIS while at altitude. It will report the winds aloft as the surface winds, and the visibility aloft as the surface visibility. And the ATIS will change as you descend and the weather immediately around you changes as well.Not much help, but there you are. Rick

No, the runway direction is based on the weather on the ground at the destination. However, the weather reported there can be different (the ATIS is different) at different times, even though I just use the default FS2002 real world weather download and then fly offline. However, changing runways at the last minute has only happened twice to me, one of which was in one of the default activities which has the destination in Milan. I am not sure why you are getting it often.Kitty MercuryCathay Pacific Virtual Pilot (CX252)

Does anybody use Radar Contact notice the same deviations? Will RCv3 give the correct ATIS based on terminal conditions?

Guest abent

Try setting your lock in FSMeteo at 80 miles out. I was having this problem a lot until I set it to 80nm. I haven't had the problem since, and I've done dozens of flights.Adam

Thank you every body.In FSUIPC, I noticed one option in wind tab says "mag direction to FSTraffic". Is this something to do with it?? I try another setting in FSMeteo as Adam suggested.Regards to all.