Sign in to follow this  
Krister

Downloading file --> CRC error on one computer but not the other

This is one more thing I cannot figure out! :)I built a computer for flight simming only. It's an Athlon 64 3800+ with a SATA hard disk running Windows XP SP2. I also have an PIV with Windows XP SP2 and an IDE hard disk. These are connected to a network using a router (Westell Versalink) and then to the Internet via ADSL.Now, often when I download a zip file from the Internet on the Athlon computer, I cannot extract the contents since I get a CRC error. If I download the same file from the Internet on the PIV computer I get no errors and can either extract the contents there or move the zipped file to the Athlon and extract it there.It doesn't matter wether I use Windows Explorer, Powerdesk, Winzip or Winrar - I still get the CRC error. And the file is of course downloaded over the same broadband Internet connection. If I re-download the file (after clearing the cache and also saving to another place on the hard drive) I get the CRC error again.First I was thinking if there is something wrong with the disk controller when the file is written to the disk, but the Cyclic Redunacy Check (CRC check) is only a way of checking that the transmission was ok. As far as I can tell this only happens with zip-files.It's not a huge issue since I can work my way around it, but I'd prefer to find a solution not a work around! :)

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Guest baksteen33

Hi Krister, if you're using the Nvidia firewall, FTP downloads might get corrupted. I don't know whether it needs to be de-installed or disabling it is enough? Nvidia is aware of the problem and has promised a fix with an upcoming driver release. Hope this helps, good luck and kind regards Jaap

Jaap,that can very well be the answer. I have an Asus mobo with Nvidia firewall integrated, so I'll just disable it in the bios and see what happnens!Thank you very much for that tip!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------