Sign in to follow this  
windycloud

64 bit hardware and 32 bit sysem

Hi all,I am considering an upgrade from my Athlon 2400+ to AMD64 3500, which means for me to buy a new mobo and CPU. I already have 1G of ram (PC3200) and I plan to continue using my Vcard, Nvidia 5900 128MB.My first question: Can I reinstall my Windows XP 32bit to the new system or do I need to get Windows 64bit? Also what's the deal with putting the same windows to a new machine? Can I still activate it?Second question: Is my upgrade plan a good one for the money?Third question: I think my power supply is 300W. Is a bigger supply (450W maybe) recommanded or needed for the 3500+?I keep my machine running clean, FSautostart, FS-GS tweak, defaul airports, 2Dcockpit only, may setting at mid point, replacement textures, FPS friendly AIs and a lot of tweaks but last night I still only got 12PFS and shutters at SKEA. That kinda did it for me.Thank you!!Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Guest baksteen33

Hi Jason First answer is, yes, it works very well and you don't need a 64-bit OS. Case you haven't exceeded the 3 internet activations limit, you should even be able to activate through the net without a hitch. As for the 'bread'; on one hand you'll see a pretty performance increase. On the other, I wouldn't dare judge whether it's worth it or not. You'll probably need a new PSU. Bigger isn't necessarily the point. Most important is a relatively high 12V Amp