Sign in to follow this  

Loud and clear about Wilco's Airport 1 2002!!!

"A completely new 737-400 in all dimensions", "developed exclusevily for Flight simulator 2002", these are just a few words on the package of Airport 1 2002 from Wilco. Well in my opinion these words are not entirely true ( some would say not at all!!!). First i'am almost sure that the 737-400 must be the 737-700, just a mistake, can happen??but than, the aircraft is the same model as the 737-800 in the Airport 3 2000 package, and i think it is just a exact copy with no upgrade at all!!!, and for the panel it is exact the same story, so this means that they let our Flight Simulator hobby crash by fooling around to make money for nothing. I like the virtual cockpit, but it is almost impossible to fly the aircraft without the 2D panel. The scenery is not working on my computer, but that is just a bonus on top. They should make a complete new plane for us to give some comfort for our money and to sell smething in the future!Besr regards,

it's quite telling that justflight.com has withdrawn it from sale until issues are fixed.personally i have quite enjoyed the package so far, it has generally worked for me (other than FSNAT destroying frame rates and the documentation being diabolical), but it is sad to see so many people having problems.

Thank you for reply, it is true that wilco and others destroy the joy of using flightsimulator by making this sort of (quality), impossible to use software. It just does not work to sell "old" planes for "new", buyers in the flightsim community know the past and are just not stupid. Quality, realism and details who work in FS2002 are what we want for our money, so don't fool us again.

Guest UweR

Hi, I am highly sceptical when it comes to this product and haven

Having spent my hobby time designing scenery for years, I look at the critisicm of Wilco from a different perspective.The design techniques that allow for dense custom scenery to be efficient generally have been determined over the last six months. In simple terms, it means re-doing your macros. I never have owned a wilco product, but if it provides dense custom scenery, it likely is filled with these macros.Again, assuming wilco's issues, I'd guess they planned the current release before we learned about the frame rate advantage of floating point commands in the scenery code. I can understand them choosing to just use their old macros, saving them gobs of time, and resulting in the kind of problems you folks are having.I did the same thing when I released Tacoma Narrows a few months after fs2k2 was around. while my scneery runs at about 15fps, its probably smaller than the wilco work, it uses the old style macros. partly the reason was that those macros looked so good, and there were BAD appearance problems with the ground textures that HAD to be solved, and so much else that HAD to be learned, that it seemed insane to re-design all my macros also.It was 6 months later that I released my second fs2k2 airport

Guest crashing_pilot

ah....well....i read in a forum(here?)that a commercial gmax licence costs you several thousands of dollars....maybe they are trying to earn one here? :-)see yaTom van der ElstUhhhh.....well i've got no fancy line to type down here....if you know one....let me know...maybe i'll look smarter then *:-*DASH 7 FOREVER! :-bla

Guest jase439

Wow. I didn't know JustFlight had withdrawn it. Good to see a publisher setting quality standards though. I think I will pass this one by. I haven't seen the great appeal (not to mention I own all but one of the sceneries in other third party packages) and the reviews are the pits.A2K Volume 3 was kind of a turning point for them, I think...unfortunatley, in the wrong direction.

Guest sfgiants

I agree with this post.After purchasing Airport 2000 vI & v2, I was a little skeptical about Volume III. The frame rates were awful and I had, at that time, a Geforce 2 Ultra. Today, I'm using a GeForce (Visiontek-still waiting for my t-shirt) Ti 4600 with 768 RAM and a Pentium IV 2.0. Installed Volume III with a patch and stutters galore with 3-4 fps.Now, after hearing about Airport 2002, there is no way I'll spend $50 with LAGO and SIMFLYERS producing some awesome scenery like Honolulu and KLAX (simflyers).My plea:We need a concrete company to create continuous products for us on time and playable.Tim

The 737 in Airports 1 2002 seems to have disappointed a lot of people. Honestly, though, I can't see how people can expect both a great airplane addon and great scenery for about the cost of either one. Wilco has always included airplanes with their Airport product line and you know what? They've always stunk. Review after review always says the same thing - great scenery, big frame rate hit, useless aircraft. The mystery is why do they bother adding the aircraft at all. If it was so good, wouldn't you expect it to be released separately, along the lines of PIC? I realize there was more hype this time given the interactive VC but I suspect most of us who owned earlier versions either steered clear entirely, awaiting reviews, or bought it simply for the airport scenery.David