Sign in to follow this  
Guest dutton

Review of My Next System Hardware

Guest Edwin

Dutton,Well, if it were me, I'd just save the $1,000 to upgrade once before I get another system overhaul. But if you really are sure you want to spend another $1,000 on your system (bearing in mind that you'd be running into diminishing returns), I'd upgrade the CPU and get a second 7800GTX for SLI.On CPU, I've previously told you the pros and cons of going dual-core. Personally, I went dual-core but you may want the Athlon64 FX-57.On video card, I considered suggesting you still go the single-card route and get the 512MB version of the 7800GTX instead. However, if you look at http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2607&p=11, I quote: "In just about every benchmark the only solution (not including its winning SLI configuration) that could beat the 7800 GTX 512 was the 7800 GTX SLI setup." Thus, SLI of two 256MB cards still outperforms a single-card 512MB card.Hope this helps.Edwin

Guest dutton

Thanks, Edwin. I was thinking along the same lines as you. Not much more to really add to this system in my opnion other then the CPU and the Video Card. I am thinking the dual video card is an option along with some kick-butt speakers. What CPU did you go with?You probably missed my last question at the bottom of my last post - speaking performance only, should I be swapping the Windows Home for Windows Pro?

Guest Edwin

Hi dutton,I went with the AMD Athlon64 X2 4800+, still cheaper than the crazily priced AMD Athlon64 FX-57.Indeed, if you do not have good speakers, then your money would be VERY well spent there. There are many good sets out there now - mine are almost two years old now, the Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra. Sound quality is amazingly good - in particular, the mids and highs from the satellites are amazingly clear and crisp. I also like that the bass is solid without being overpowering (unlike so many sets out there nowadays). I heard Logitech also makes very good speakers - my only reference is a set my brother had used 4 years ago, the Z560, they were good but still not quite as good as the equivalent Klipsch speakers at the time.There is no performance difference between Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional Edition. The differences are all in functionality.Edwin

You will love the Dell 2405fpw. Go for it!If you're going to spend some extra money -- go SLI. FS2004 does not use SLI however I appreciate SLI when I play UbiSoft Lock On.Your system looks like a winner!Good luck!

Guest dutton

Thanks again, guys. Definitely looking forward to the Dell 2405. I may just end up adding some good speakers to the system and also a second BFG 7800 GTX. I am probably going to stick with the 256MB though.

Guest dutton

Well, I have started to order everything! Finally!!Ordered the Dell 2405 on Saturday - they had a special on so I saved some cashola there. I plan on ordering the rest of the system this week. I am hoping I can get some more deals and will upgrade maybe to the 4800 CPU - since I do web design work, I am sure this would only help me.I will keep you posted.

Guest dutton

Just got back from ordering the new system. The specs changed a little bit but overall, it is the same system. The new Dell 2405 should arrive next Tuesday and the system should be ready then or by Wednesday.Thanks again to all that assisted me. This is gonna be kick-but!!

Guest navav2002

Darn...I got here too late to put my two cents in...But I wanted to congratulate you on a Fine Job...I hope to come back and read a review once you got her all up and running!! Happy Building...The 4000+ is one heck of a processor...no need to go to the FX53, 55 or even FX57...The 4000+ is the absolute best Bang for your Buck!! I have one also...The performance differance between that system and my FX57 system is negligable...Looks like you had some very fine input from these folks...Nicely done...Happy Holidays!!