Sign in to follow this  

Ground passes too slowly in FS2002 ?

I did a search to see if others had mentioned the appearance that you were moving too slowly in FS2002 (relative to the ground) especially when flying close to the ground.I didn't find anything, however, as a Private Pilot, it does indeed appear to me that the relationship between the indicated airspeed and the speed at which the scenery beneath any plane passes is somewhat distorted.I have a 1.333 GHz machine with a GeForce2 MX400 graphics card.They do a really good job. However, I wonder how much difference one of the newer, faster video card makes on the simulation appearance andif changing to a newer, faster card would also improve this? Or, is this a FS2002 issue? I get a very smooth display in any case. Usually lifelike except when I load it up with heavy scenery and clouds etc.If anyone has gone from a GeForce2 MX 400 to a never Nvidia based (or better) card and would care to give me a little feedback on how much better (or not) the card is, I would appreciate it.Finally, I have to admit that I'm already looking forward to the next FS200? release. I have my own personal "wish" list but these guys just keep pushing the "Dazzle Factor" (Contact me before using this personal trademark phrase please) higher and higher.Anyway..GREAT site, great resources!Chow

Hi!This has been discussed before. The fact is that by design, the movement is realistic (Ground and distances are scaled correctly and groundspeeds/distance traveled are accurate).However, your ZOOM settings can affect how it looks to you. I believe Michael J. found the ideal zoom setting of 71% which is the most realistic. Use SHIFT + or SHIFT - to change the zoom by smaller increments. This is just a guideline though.. use what feels right to you.Hope that helps!Damian ClarkDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activeskyhttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky//images/wxre-banner.jpg

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

There was also another study that I read that said the zoom factor should be @ 1.20 to 1.26 Quite a difference.BobG

I agree with Bob(I fly in the "real" world and a zoom of .70 is just too "wide angle" it does not look at all like what I see out the window I find that a setting of around 1.25 or so to most closelyresemble what I see in the "real" world both on the ground and in the air. Dan

Not to mention that the zoom being set to 1+ is easier on FS's display engine, meaning higher fps and fewer blurries. If I set the zoom to less than 1, final approaches look very unrealistic...the runways take on a "skinny and stretched" appearance. But I think what it comes down to is personal choice...Also note that some aircraft designers are using zoom levels less than 1 in their panel.cfg's.... -John

Another thing is that it can depend on what kind of view you are using. For example, I use virtual cockpit most of the time and I find that about .75 gives me the best balance of realism and peripheral view. In normal cockpit view I like 1.2.About perceived ground speed: As more detailed objects are visible on the ground, the faster it will appear you are going. This is a factor in simulation (and life!) of course but it is important to note. FS2002 has come a long way to give us more objects and detail so this is getting beter.... Right now we have to find a balance between realism in perceived speed as well as percevied size and field of view. Once I got rid of some of the blurry problems I was having I noticed right away that things seemed faster (in movement, not neccessarily frame rate!!!) :)Damian ClarkDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activeskyhttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky//images/wxre-banner.jpg

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

I got a smile out of this post. I know what you meant, but the engineer in me has had some fun with this one. It is easy for you to check the fs2k2 clock against your watch. It would also be easy to check ground speed against what you would expect ground speed to be by a simple test flight...fly 10 nautical miles (easy to determine if you have any sectional charts) and carefully note the time at t/o and landing. divide the first by the second and you have knots assuming you convert your time units into sim hours (nautical miles /sim hour). Of course at this point you have to consider the difference between sim hours and "real" hours. I haven't done this myself, so I'm not sure how the sim tracks against the watch. Assuming its close, and assuming you agree that the ground speed is close to real, then the only concept that would explain your perception of ground speed would be your ability to discriminate ground features.Back when, fs3, I believe, the ground was green. Just green. No one even imagined being able to perceive movement by looking at the ground. I assure you that more than once I've felt like I've been moving too FAST, usually when trying to finish a botched approach that I'd lose my ticket for if I even thought of trying in real life!Bob B