Sign in to follow this  
Chris_CYWG

Hardware Question... Windows XP and monitor/vid card

I've searched the net for this answer, but I haven't found anything.. and to top it all off I don't know if I'm properly entering it in the search!!Anyways, the problem is this... every once and a while, the image on the screen (usually the desktop) kind of explodes out at me, like its coming through the screen like that little freak in the movie The Ring... the screen then goes black, and then it resets itself to normal..Vidcard is Leadtek Ti 4200 128MB, drivers are 40.72, monitor is Optiquest V95 with the refresh mod (it was doing this before the refresh mod as well)Thanks,Chris

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Wow! That sounds odd. Maybe too high of refresh rate or res for your monitor?

Never heard of that one. Has it always done that or has it just started happening? If the latter, try to think back about what you have installed that may have caused the problem. If thats the case you can uninstall the offending program or component. If your using XP and used checkpoints you could roll back to that point. Wish I could offer more helpBobG

Its kind of been doing it since I was running the system..I thought it was becuase I was trying to overclock the videocard, but I have turned the oc'ing right off and its still doing it... it only seems to do it on the desktop.. This is a 2 week old fresh XP install, straight to the 40.72 driver.. Its a random thing as well.. just kinda happens!Chris

Chris - It could be a problem with the monitor randomly degaussing. If you manually trip the degauss does it look anything like the same?Trip

I tried a manual degauss and its totally different..this looks like the screen is exploding out at you 3D and then goes to black, then comes back fine a few seconds later... I have no idea!!Thanks anyways,Chris

Guest artl

I had something similar (though not exactly the same) with a new XP - TI4200/128mb system that seems to have "gone away" after six or seven weeks.For increased cooling, I changed my memory sticks to slot 1 and 3, instead of what the supplier did... 1 and 2. (My board doesn't care which slots the memory is in.). That is about the only Hardware change I made that may (or may not) have had an effect.I was running a "monitor" program on the board, which would, every so often complain about the 1.6volts being "out of tolerance" for about 2 seconds. But I could not corelate these instances to the visual problems. I also think that it was more likely a sample-averaging problem by the software, rather than a real hardware problem, and eventually I stopped running it. Is it possible that the presence of that program intruding on the board was a problem?Art.

Hi Art,I went into the BIOS and changed a few things, and I "thought" I had it cured until this morning when it did it again... I'll try and move the memory like you said and see what happens... I'm at a lose as to what it might be. It doesn't do it all the time which is the strange thing... can be fine fine for days then it does it again.Thanks,Chris

Hi Chris.What you're describing almost sounds like a capacitor "popping", as it discharges. That may be signaling you that either the MB, the video card, or the monitor is having a problem.... doesn't sound like a software problem to me.Swapping out parts would be an answer, if you can find another computer owner ( victim ), to help you test components. I'd try a monitor swap first, then a video card next.. because those are the easiest to swap, and because I'm suspecting the monitor.If the monitor is at fault, I'd suggest not using it, as a short or burn-out of the monitor could damage the rest of the computer.Dick

I tried something else yesterday and haven't seen the problem yet... I installed the SiS AGP driver... I dunno if it will make a difference as it did this in the BIOS screen as well where windows wasn't even loaded..Guess I'll just have to sit in front of it and watch...

This is just a long shot but, do you have a cell phone, radio, or scanner within three to four feet of your monitor?Cell phones at times will cause strange things to happen with TV's and computer monitors.Good luck.Jay

Actually I have a handheld scanner very close that I listen to YWG ATC with, but it isn't on when this is happening... I have that AGP driver installed now and nothing has happened that I have seen as of yet..that doesn't mean to say when I step away it isn't 3ding on me...I guess time will tell...Chris