Sign in to follow this  
Guest bigun

New System On The Way!

I dealth with them before! Good company! No problem with them!

Guest depot_haldol

So now that it's been running for a month, how are you getting along? Have you found any situations since starting up when your FPS do suffer? I'm about to make a purchase, and your input is really helpful. Thanks.---Will

Guest bigun

Hey Will,Nope, everything is running great. The only problem I have had with any sort of stuttering was when the PMDG747F was first released. They issued a patch almost immediately and corrected it. I have my frame rates locked at 25 because it looks good to me at that rate. It will drop to about 21-22 in very, very busy airports but no stutters.

Guest depot_haldol

Thanks for the input. If I can clean the drool off my keyboard, I'll start planning an "ultimate" system and yours seems like a great idea. Some other questions, if you have the time. I understand how the 64-bit Athelon should be blazing fast, but people tell me that the dual-core option isn't put to use in FS9. Do you think that the running a dual-core processor is helping you? Or did you chose that CPU in anticipation of FSX?I don't use 3rd party scenery, but I fly pretty much exclusively with the Level-D 767, Ultimate Traffic, and Active Sky. I dream of a busy airport in a raging thunderstorm without stutters. 20 fps is quite acceptable. How many layers of clouds is Active Sky generating for you?Thanks for the help, and Happy Easter.---Will

Guest bigun

No problem with the questions Will,Your right, the dual core does NOTHING as far as I know for FS. I indeed went with it simply because it was the best and fastest out there when I purchased it. I purchase or build a computer about every three years exclusively for FS. Although I know I pay a premium by purchasing components when they are first released, I feel like I get my moneys' worth by being able to use the system for a little more time. I'm running 5 cloud layers, Ultimate Traffic, Ultimate Terrain, Ground Environment, and Flight Environment. I have a few payware airports but really don't get into them very much. I also fly the LDS, PMDG747, Flight1 Super80, Lago Maddog, FeelThere PIC737, Aeroworx B200, and use Radar Contact .

Guest depot_haldol

(1) With all the add-on aircraft you describe, are there any that pull your fps down below 20 with ActiveSky (5 cloud layers), full UT, and so on? I.e. are any of the add-on aircraft you describe likely to give me a headache(*) even with a similar system?(2) For the dual graphics cards: do you have to do anything special to get FS9 to recognize them, or is having two graphics cards as user-firendly as having only one? (*) Headache = fps below 20Thanks and happy Easter.---Will

Guest bigun

Will,Nope, none pull frames below 20FPS. I just listed the aircraft I fly the most. I own pretty much every payware aircraft addon made with the exception of FSD stuff. None pull FPS below 20. In fact, unless I'm flying into someplace like Newark with 100% AI, it doesn't drop below the locked 25fps.As far as the SLI cards, I don't really think it helps with FS since it is not programmed for dual cards or so I understand.

Hey George, I was curious how your IBuyPower machine has been doing over the last few months. I'm about to plunk down some money on a new machine, and following my not-so-great experiences in PC building, I decided to have one built this time. Long story short, I know how to put a PC together, but when there's a problem, all the time and money spent on troubleshooting (especially an elusive motherboard/memory issue) I'd rather spend on flying and warranty. I'm not that great on tinkering. There's not enought time for simming as it is, so I gotta keep my priorities straight ;-)Anyway, since together with hardware I'd like to buy some peace of mind (lost a lot of it during my PC building experience), I've taken a look at the desktop vendor reliability chart at the following link: http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,a...409,pg,8,00.asp. So the main question is whether to go with a reputable builder like Alienware or a no-frills (WYSIWYG, some call it) builder like IBuyPower. Since ABS and CyberPower were rated so low, I've excluded them from the running. Obviously there are people out there unhappy with Alienware (like with any vendor, but unless PCWorld has a marketing relationship with them, the results of the survey are quite important to me. I've been looking at a similarly priced systems around $2500 total (since I live in Cali and would have to pay tax with IBuyPower) from the two vendors:Alieware Aurora 7500AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+Alienware

Guest navav2002

Hi Michal...First off good luck with your decision!! Hope you enjoy your new rig!! What ever it may be..While I havn't visited either website you referance..I noticed a couple of points I'd like to comment on reguarding the info you have posted..The Ailenware system you have listed is based on the new AMD AM2 platform...This is the latest socket design offered by AMD..It will replace the socket 939 stuff...Socket AM2 uses DDR2 memory and has a couple of other *Technical Advantages* over the socket 939 design...I don't want to get into allot of technical stuff(Which I don't understand myself BTW)..However one Key point with the new AM2 Processor's is..They will be capable of utilizing "Reverse-HyperThreading" which supposidly will offer a significant performance advantage to the 939 design(See Link)...Infact there is speculation it will compete with the new Intel Core 2 Duo stuff(Intels latest High Performance Line due out very soon)...http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32589The IBuyPower system you have spec'ed out is the socket 939 design...While Crossfire is a nice feature...(I have had a Crossfire set-up myself...same mb you have listed...which is For Sale BTW...Cheep..he he)...I was not impressed...Virtually no advantage to FS...Not sure with other programs as FS is my only interest...There are(Currently) no ATI Crossfire Motherboards in the socket AM2 design(AM2 is too new...I'm sure there will be eventually)...But like I say...Crossfire ability would not rank very high in *My Decision* on building a new system...I would consider the features of the new socket design to outweigh the Crossfire Capability...Just my opinion!! (But again...I have been there and done that)..I have just recently dis-assembled my Crossfire set-up and opted instead for the 7950Gx2...I *Gave* my X1900 Crossfire VideoCard to a friend for a new system build...I'm keeping the other X1900XTX for a possiable new build or some comparison between this 7950GX2...Now..I'm not saying I do not like ATI!! I want to emphasize that!! My point is...I personally would not select an "ATI Crossfire Set-Up" over the new AM2 design...I think in the long run AM2 will offer you more performance advantages than the Socket939 Crossfire set-up...I hope this makes some sense?? I did not set out to confuse you...Honest.. ;) Edit: One other comment...The Ailenware spec's you've listed state a motherboard running the "nForce 590" chipset..This is currently the top of the line AM2 chipset...Good Luck in your decisions!!

Hey Chuck, thanks a bunch! I kinda missed the fact the Alienware mobo is an AM2 board (well, the memory speeds should have been a clue...). I read a couple of previews/reviews at AnandTech on the freshly baked AM2 boards and the impression I got was in the long run those boards didn't offer much of an advantage other than future upgradeability. Anand was stressing the fact that it may take a few iterations before AMD has optimized their AM2 CPUs to utilize DDR2 memory as efficiently as they have done with Socket 939 CPUs and DDR1. He did suggest choosing AM2 boards for new machines, though.The reason I focused on Crossfire was not FSCOF but the likes of Oblivion (called along Q4 the first game justifying a CF/SLI setup) and HL2, as well as FSX. I do realize the dangers of buying a machine with DX10 and Vista round the corner, and as many have pointed out, you will need a dedicated DX10 GPU to admire FSX in its full glory, but still I wanted to give myself a little space to grow and get the best out of CF/SLI setup (since FSX is supposed to be able to take advantage of it) in DX9 before I have a chance to switch to a dedicated DX10 board. ATI (both CF and single setups) seems to edge NVidia in games like Oblivion (interesting tests at AnandTech) and HL2; earlier there were also driver issues within SH3 (UZO spray issue); and a recent article in Computer Gaming World (June 2006 issue) claims "GeForce 7900 GTX cards can't render some games with anti-aliasing and high dynamic range lighting at the same time" (the same article says not to bother with CF/SLI on monitors 19" and smaller, but I'm not sure whether they meant only LCDs and their native resolutions or CRTs as well -- I have a 19" CRT and seldom use 1600x1200 res). Following your comments I might need to give the AM2 option more thought though.Anyway, thanks again for your comments, shedding a new light on my options, and the suggested reading. I'll have to reassess my choices. With so many new technologies starting or about to appear I guess I couldn't have picked worse time to buy a new machine, but I have no choice.Michal

Guest navav2002

Kewl!! I agree...You picked a bad time to build a new Rig... :( But then again a year from now it will be a similar situation...You order your stuff...Buy the time it reaches your door step it's outdated...

Wow, posting at the same time, almost like a chat!Thanks for your additional comments. I did actually ask Alienware if they offered an ATI CF board/solution for the kind of money I'm willing to spend but they responded "not at this time." The only CF setup they have on offer is pricey (4/5 grand) and involves Pentium. The last Intel I've ever owned was Pentium 100 and I have no intention of going back... Who knows, maybe it's because there are no AM2 boards with CF as you mentioned.Thanks again.Michal

Guest navav2002

He He...I changed it..as..After reading your reply I see you know what your doing...I didn't mean to talk down to you...Sorry...This is funny...It's going to make no sense to anyone reading...lol

Guest bigun

Hey Michal,Sorry I didn't post a reply earlier. Been out of town. I have had absolutely xero problems with the system so far. I'm exremely happy with it up to this point. Hopefully it will hold me through FSX for the first couple of years. As I said in an earlier post, I run pretty much all the complex add-ons. UT, AS6, GE PRO, FE, MyTraffic 2006, etc. I fly mosstly the LDS767, PMDG747, FeelThere Legacy and Maddog MD80. Have my FPS set at 30 and it stays there with the exception of when I depart or arrive in an extremely busy airport and it will drop to about 23-25 FPS. I can't really comment on the Tech Support from IBuypower because I simply haven't needed it.

Guest navav2002

Just a heads-up...You may be aware of this already?? It is rumored that on July 24th(Release date of the Intel Core2 Duo)...AMD Processors will drop in price significantly...Rumors report between a 30-50% price drop on most of the "Mainstream" 939 and AM2 Processors...Not sure how IbuyPower or Ailenware will pass this along though?? It may not effect your plans?? Not sure how that works?? Since I build my own stuff I find it kinda exciting!! I had anticipated this so I may finally get an x2 processor myself...(The FX series will not be effected)...Maybe a nice 4800x2 sounds good..he he..:9 Link:http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2800Have Fun!!