Sign in to follow this  
djsebx

2 graphics problem with my new PC and FS9

Hi,I have two problems with my new computerThe first one is like this:screenhunter0208aa.jpgAny third party window (ADV disp of Pete Dowson ; fspassengers live status window ; IvAp or SB3 etc) turn the lower part of the main panel window in full black. It can be "fixed" if I enter in full screen mode and come back to the window mode. If I switch to another window than FS9, the problem is the same until I do the same trick as mentioned above.The second problem is worse:When I fly for more than 2 hours, whatever the scenery, the location, the aircraft, the virtual cockpit textures and those of the external model start flashing, like if the video card memory got empty and immediately reloads the texture. It's getting faster and faster until it's flashing quickly and the aircraft starts to behave weird and it turns unflyable. So it makes the virtual long haul flights impossible :x It's really weird. The first problem is also encountered by another guy that has a Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT in an AGP slot.Note that I have NO problem in Battlefield 2 / Electronic Arts with the exact same hardware and settings, while I ALWAYS have the same problems with FS9.0 and FS9.1, and I also tested with my add-ons and no addons at all with a fresh install !Here are my hardware specs and display settings :Power 350 WattsAsus A8N Sli Premium (updated nforce4 driver)CPU AMD 64x2 4400+ mounted with a Zalmann fan CPNS 7700 cuRAM 2x 1Gb G.Skill PC4000Leadtek/Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT 256 Mo (driver Forceware 88.98 WHQL)hard drive 400 Gb western digital 7200rpm 16 Mo cache SATASoundBlaster Audigy Player (updated driver)Windows XP SP2Samsung LCD 19" 1280x1024 32 bits 75hz , tested also at 60 HzAA x4 , aniso x4

Sebastien BELLUTEAU

Hi,I have a similar problem after upgrading my machine to a similar spec (AMD X2 4800, Nvidia 6800GT, Asus A8V, SB Audigy, XP SP2...). After about an hour the ground textures start to flash like they are being re-loaded every couple of seconds. Once this starts then a Crash To Desktop is not far away! Meanwhile, the graphics might be choppy but I'm getting 20+ FPS! Just don't get it!!Anyway if I get it sorted I'll come right back here and post the remedy - didn't mean to hijack your post but it all sounds oh so familiar!Cheers,Geoff

Can't quite comment regarding the problems your having. But I wanted to ask something after reading your system specs; is a 350 watt power supply adequate for a rig like that? I was only asking as I know some 7800 cards specify at least a 400 watt PS for optimal operation?

Guest baksteen33

Hi guys On Sebastien's prob #2, it could be the power supply. 350W seems too little for that combo since the CPU alone uses 110W. How many Amps does the 12V lead read? In case you don't know where to find this info; it should be specified on the PSU's sticker. HST, what are your PSU specs, Geoff? Sebastien mentions 3 programs which cause the black stroke. Could it be isolated to one or does it happen with all of them regardless? Have you tried different video drivers? Hope this adds to thoughts, good luck and kind regards Jaap Edit: Good catch Rick. I didn't see you posted already. :-)

Yes 350 watts are enough until you don't have 10 hard disks and 10 hardwares USB plugged :)And I have never met any problem with Battlefield 2 using the same system .. :)Also 350 Watts of a good and stable power (Enermax) are much better than 480 Watts from poor powers industries.. I read a surprising article about this in a hardware press magazine :)Edit : for problem #1, yes it happens with ANY third party windows, and I tried two drivers. The latest official 88.90 WHQL, and I also tried with 93.10 Beta : same problem in FS, and even worse, because in Battlefield all textures flash ..

Sebastien BELLUTEAU

Hi again,The PSU is 500w but that's academic as I have sorted the problem. First I completely uninstalled the graphics drivers and then the sound drivers...Then downloaded the latest and re-installed them - an improvement but not there yet. I downloaded a registry cleaner program JV16 and cleaned out the junk in the reg and that was also helpful...However, the one thing that caused the single largest improvement in FS graphics quality was (and this one really beats me) to turn ON the tray icon for my logitech mouse - what the ???! All is now very smooth!!!Cheers,Geoff

Guest baksteen33

Hi Geoff, thanks a lot for the feedback. Probably needless to mention you've got me stumped too. Those Logitech drivers are incredible! For some they work, for others they don't at all. For certain folks they even add to smoothness... :-) ENJOY! Sincerely stumped Jaap

I fixed my problem #2 with an older NVidia driver Forceware 77.77 provided by Leadtek for my Leadtek PX7800 GT 256 Mb.Downloaded from here : http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/support/down...0/6200%20SeriesI uninstalled the actual 88.98 WHQL driver using the Windows control panel uninstall function. And I downloaded and installed Driver Cleaner Pro. http://www.drivercleaner.net/I booted in Windows safe mode (F8 pressed during startup) and ran the driver cleaner for the NVidia drivers.I booted and lauched Windows in normal mode. I installed the 77.77 driver by Leadtek and booted for the last time.Now FS starts displaying black areas as I described above, but at least, the worst problem i've had is FIXED : no more flashing textures at all and no more PC crash ! good ..Hope it helps.

Sebastien BELLUTEAU

Now the problems seems to be solved with the latest driver from Nvidia 84.21 WHQL.

Sebastien BELLUTEAU

Guest trekfan

Does this happen if you disable AA in the nvidia control panel?Paul.

I can confirm Trekfan's hunch about AA.From my experience problem 1 occurs when you run AA higher than 2xQ. Bring it down to 2xQ and all should be fine.Hope this helps,Cheers,Gerhard

Regards,

Gerhard

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things" (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)