Sign in to follow this  

FS Genesis Terrain

I am getting ready to order the FS Genesis 38.2 terrain. Before I do so I would like some comments from other people using this program. Is the change noticable? Does it affect frame rates? Is it difficult to install? ect. Thank You in advance for the assistance.

Guest Don_Eliot

Chuck, I just recieved my cd today for the rocky mountain area. I wanted to compare the default area at Lake Powell in Utah with it. There is difference of night and day. The 38.2 is really well done. I don't have any trouble with frame rates. It is smooth. The install is simple, you just press the button and it self installs. My cpu is pent3 866,512 ram GF4 ti 4400, winxp home sp1. I was so impressed am going to get the other areas. First time in years I could use mesh without stutters and jerks. Don

Get it! I got the whole U.S. in 30m resolution about a month ago, and I am still amazed how almost every hill in the country is depicted. There IS an impact on the frame rates (in some areas more than others), so you might want to make sure you are at least getting decent frame rates with the default scenery. As for the installation, it was easier than I had expected. You can automatically remove a region after it is installed if for some reason you are dissatisfied with it. I had taken some screenshots a while back but unfortunately it seems I deleted them. Nonetheless, I'm sure you won't regret it.-Derek

I ordered the entire US coverage as well. It's a VAST improvement over the default terrain. With his LandClass releases and the terrain mesh I can now spot the approximate location of my house in Pittsboro, IN. I couldn't do that before with the default scenery. The scenery out west with his terrain his unbelievable. It has to been seen to be believed. But, as others have said, the mesh out west is just a little bit rougher on the framerates. But not enough to cause you to want to uninstall it. I have noticed a couple of glitches, but nothing to be extremely worried about. Well, I was worried when I took off from SFO for ORD and just about nailed a HUGE rectangular pillar at 37000 feet somewhere northeast of Sacramento that strectched from ground level up into space. Really, that's the only thing I have to complain about and it's really not a big deal. It's worth the money, every cent.Regards,Dan Zollnerhttp://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg

Guest abent

Can you guys take some pics and post them. I'd really like to see how much better it is. If you wouldn't mind, a shot of flat land going toward foothills and then mountains. The KPDX area is a good one. Or any area you think is particularly good.Thanks. It would be appreciated. Adam

Here are a few shots I quickly churned out. I set the time of day to best bring out the contours of the mountains.Over the Columbia River looking towards what I presume to be Mt. Hood.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3ddd9cde03f05aa1.jpgMoving into Washington state, a brave cessna flies low over the crater of Mt. St. Helens. I turned on the frame rate counter to help give an idea of the performance. If it is not as high as you were expecting, keep in mind that the visibility is set to 40 mi. in this shot.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3ddd9ce503fe3c5a.jpgA few hills can be seen in this shot behind downtown Portland.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3ddd9ce904084bdc.jpgHope these are helpful, I am not familiar with the Oregon area in real life so I can only assume the scenery is accurate.-Derek

Guest abent

WOW :-eek Those are indeed wonderful! That Mt. St. Helens shot is spectacular. Something to consider getting as an add-on for sure.Thanks a bunch Derek.Adam

I have the Hawaii terrain + land class and it is very nice.The only problem I've seen so far is that Wheeler AAF is sitting on a plateau about 50 meters above the surroundingterrain, which I assume is due to how airport scenery isoverlayed onto the terrain.scott s..

Guest jase439

For comparison's sake, this is a ~76m mesh that is available as freeware. You will find better performance w/ this, but you can see how the sides of the mountain are much better defined w/ the FS Genesis mesh. The landscape in the distance (in Derek's post) has significantly better definition than what is shown here. You will find however, that if you fly > 5000' over the terrain, the resolution in the FS Genesis scenery bleeds off quickly and it looks only slightly better than 76 or 153m mesh.If you fly low and slow, FS Genesis is the way to go. But if you're fast and high, let freeware be your guy (I slay me :-lol I need sleep)

Mount St. Helen??You never see the real mount st. Helen - from anybody apart - from FSfreeware.com - Seattle 10 m mesh for that area - or the new and Vast Coverage for the US NW come in out soon at fsfreeware.com - about 1 gb of 10 m terrain for the NW Usa!you know what I mean??

Guest abent

Thanks Derek, I don't know what's going on with the forum lately, but not all of my posts even get displayed. I wrote you back yesterday thanking you for the pics. They look amazing by the way. A definite consideration for an add-on.Thanks, Adam

Guest BobKK

Can anyone post any comparison shots, default terrain vs. Mesh?Bob