Sign in to follow this  

FS Genesis Terrain

you know what I mean??Maybe we will when/if it comes out... ;-)

Guest sgreenwood

Hi Bob,I have some (large) screenshots available comparing mesh created from 10m, 30m, 100m, and 1000m source data as well as the default mesh. These were constructed from my own mesh data, but I am sure the 30m data from FSGenesis is comparable. These allow you to compare all popular source data resolutions available for the US. I suggest downloading the zip file (1.2MB) so you can toggle through them with your favorite image viewer - an interesting exercise!download zip file: http://www.fs-traveler.com/cgi-bin/meshcomp.zipbrowse online at: www.fs-traveler.com/ss-meshcomp.htmlHope this helps.Steve"mesh matters" at www.fs-traveler.com

Sorry Steve:I believe your picture show a 30 m data resampled to 9.6 -Look how 10 m mesh designed with real 10 m usgs data looks like!!This screenshots is taken from the fsfreeware.com Los Angeles 10 mesh area pack.Ray

Don.I am running the same system as you except I have VooDoo 4500 card and win me.I know little about the differences in video cards.Do you think I would notice a substantial difference upgrading to the GF4 ti 4400?What do they cost?I am planning on building a new setup when fs2004 comes out.Would I just be throwing money away by upgrading card?Thanks for any advice.Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

Guest sgreenwood

Hello Ray,>I believe your picture show a 30 m data resampled to 9.6No, I used true 10m USGS source data for Mt. Washington NH. As well as for my mesh for the entire state of NJ, the entire state of NY, Mt Hood OR, Mt Rainier WA, San Francisco CA, Bar Harbor ME, Yellowstone WY, and Yosemite CA. I have not yet made most of this 10m mesh availble to the public because I am not sure the improvement over 30m mesh is worthwhile, given the additional space requirements and performance demands. I encourage others to download the screenshots and decide for themselves. Feedback on this issue is welcome!Or would you be more convinced if I provide comparisons of your sample 10m Mt Hood OR mesh with my own 10m mesh for the mountain; there is little point in doing so - they are virtually identical. I could also include my 30m mesh screenshot for comparison, demonstrating how little improvement 10m mesh provides. Perhaps you could observe the same courtesy and construct your own 10m mesh for Mt Washington NH and compare it with mine, rather than providing your sample from another area. Coordinates for the location of my screenshots are provided at the top of the default mesh image.You could also download my 10m mesh for Bar Harbor ME from this site, construct your own mesh for that area, and compare them. Or at least you could provide screenshots comparing your own 10m and 30m mesh data for an area, so folks can see how little/much better "10 m mesh designed with real 10 m usgs data" is. Only comparison screenshots are useful If you are truely interested in informing people.Regards,Steve

Chuck,Just purchased and installed all FSGenesis USA 38.2 Mesh and adding Justin's Freeware Landscape as it is developed and released.All is great, a huge difference with little or no frame rate hit that I can notice.Also check out the membership options, great savings.Shipping is fast, ordered on the 18th and received on the 21st.Support is undoubtedly the best. On several occasions I have received help within 30 minutes or less.Don't know how you can go wrong.---Jerry---

Steve;I do not agree - - 10 m mesh is way better than 30m.Post here a coordinates - and design your way - and I design a 10m - so we can make a comparison of the difference.Bearing in mind 10 m data do not cover the whole of usa - therefore on the nw is more likely - data are available.I'm a curios boy!Ray

Guest abent

You slay me too! That's not bad scenery either. Thanks, Adam