Sign in to follow this  
ABE

Drives Letter Assignment

I have 2 External Drives and 2 DVD players (1 is a recorder). I have assigned the DVD drives the letters 'V' and 'W' and the external drives 'J' and 'K'. That works fine! However, when I turn off the computer and reboot, the DVD drives will have the letters 'J' and 'K' and the externals 'L' and 'M'. I changed them back using Disk Management. But once I reboot the DVD's revert back to 'J' and 'K'.I am using WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL SP1.Appeciate any help. Thanks.Abe

Guest baksteen33

Hi Abe, we'll call this one the 'CIA bug!' J and K are there, F went missing and somebody is covertly changing your drive letters... :-) So, lets try some counter-intelligence moves here! Secret agent baksteen would try 2 things: First, check whether the USB-bit of the XP-SP2 upgrade fixes this? HST, AFAIK and according to unnamed sources, everybody on XP-SP1 should get this part of SP2. Secondly, perhaps 'do' the drives one by one (unsubscribe them all in the Disk Management and re-connect them one by one with the letters you like plus a re-boot inbetween)? I know, this might sound like the good ol' win95 days, but hey, it might be worth the try? :-) Good luck and kind regards Jaap

Hi Jaap,Thanks for the quick response, for the sense of humor(I think(CIA bug)), and for the info.You are absolultely right. I have another drive with SP2 installed and that one works like a charm. But I am stubborn and insist on keeping this drive I am using to stay with SP1.I will heed to your suggestions though and try when I have the extra time and the COURAGE (lol) to dismount and mount the drives individually.I really thought that I could fix it by savings the settings in the registry or another method (softwarewise). I run my SP1 drive continuously for 2 or 3 days straight with the drives mounted and lettered to my liking with no problem at all. It's only on REBOOT when I encounter the mis-lettering.Thanks again, Jaap.Regards.Abe

Guest baksteen33

Hi Abe, you're welcome. Guess I had my funny shoes mounted last night... :-) The following is from memory, perhaps partially outdated and after a quick look into my old computer (to get some numbers): With XP-SP1 and to be more specific, it's recommended to get the USB update for SP2 - MS # 822603. Because many OS functions make calls upon it, it's also recommended to update MS' OS Messenger service - comes as mmssetup.exe - to the latest possible version. Pls note, this isn't MSM. You can find an overview of all the bits and pieces incl in SP2 under # 811113. These recommendations were stickied at the abit-usa forum about 18 months ago. I briefly tried to find them back but they must have been 'unstickied' or I didn't look in the right place. :-) Anyway, Abe, hope this helps. Good luck and kind regards Jaap

Thanks again, Jaap. I'll do some search and research and see if I can come up with an easy solution. If not, I'll bite the bullet and install SP2.Best of appreciations and regards.Abe