Sign in to follow this  
Guest 320MAD

New spec ordered!

Guest 320MAD

Hi gang,Just ordered my new system, I hope it will take me at least half the way through the life of FSX. Here are the specs:Intel Pentium 4 955 Extreme Edition Dual Presler Core 3.46GHz 4mb CacheAsus P5N32 SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi X16 (Socket 775) PCI-Express Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-5400 TwinX RAM 2x XFX GeForce 7900 GTX Extreme Edition 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI in SLI modeThey are the basics Audigy sound card and 160gb SATA 2 HDD are from my current rig. Any comments? Do you guys think it will last me?

Guest wayupthere

Whilst your system would probally run it, i just dont understand why people are upgrading with allready even having fsx in mind at all.. NOT ONE SPEC as far as what i know of has been released by M$. What if for reason M$ decides that fsx needs dx10 to run (just a mere thought). that renders most cards now useless right? (not that dx9 doesnt suffice, but arent we all out for peak performance) reason i think of this is that the vidcard is one very pricy piece of hardware... as sofar no vidcores are made dx10 ready. correct me if im wrong though....For me, i'll wait untill fsx has been out for a bit, and see what other peoples hw is round that time..then i think imho its time for some serious reinvesting in fs. Anyway i hope your rig will last you, when you do have it be sure to let us know what performance your getting ;)

Guest 320MAD

Hi there,You have a good point there about DX10 but I doubt it. They are doing development on the current FS9 platform and in order to extend their current engine to something like DX10 it would cost them dearly as the major card producers will need to upgrade the hardware. People are upgrading for the simple fact that like myself I got caught with a socket 478 processor main board and and AGP 8X video card. I can't stretch this system any further... For example I was looking for a cheap upgrade like the Socket 478 EE but I couldn't find it anywhere. I can't upgrade my video card cause all the new ones are PCX and to do that I must change my main board then my processor won't fit the socket so I'll need to change that too. If I'm gonna upgrade I might as well go the wole hog and try to make the spec last. Does anybody out there know when FSX is due anyway?

Guest alt1579

What I have heard is that FS-X is being developed in both DirectX 9.0 and Direct3D 10. In DirectX 9.0 it will probably look nearly identical to FS9. The real difference and major eyecandy will only be available in Direct3D 10.The Direct3D 10 SDK is already available at Microsoft for developers.I'm sure that the video card industry is already on the way with compatible hardware.By the way, the new specs of the topic starter's pc are out of this world! If you really have money to spend, I'd suggest replacing that motherboard with one that is compatible with the upcoming Conroe CPU. The Intel BadAxe is such a mobo, or any other 975 spec mobo.Cheers!

There is absolutely no way that any developer is going to make a product DX10 only for a good while, certainly not MS themselves. They're also not developing a bleeding edge, bells & whistles new graphics engine either so a machine spec'd today will run it fine.As for the specs of the original poster, top notch. You'll have no trouble whatsoever running FSX, or anything else for that matter.