Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Router vs. Firewall Question.

I've got a small LAN which was connected through a hub. On the port leading to the aDSL modem I had a hardware firewall (NetGear), which all seemed to work OK.Now we have wireless, and I've just installed a wireless router in place of the old hub. The router will not work when it sees the hardware firewall downstream on it's WAN port, it says there's another router and won't install. So, for now I've bypassed the hardware firewall and all is working well, including the wireless system to which connects a printer and a laptop (wife's work stuff).If I now have a "router", so I still need a "firewall" on the WAN port of the router? How relatively unprotected am I now compared to when I had the simple hub and harware firewall? I still have the XP software firewall enabled too.Thanks for any answers...Bruce.

The wireless router in itself, just like a wired router is a firewall. Unlike a wired network though transmissions can be picked up by neighboring wireless networks, therefore it is imperative that you enable a security protocol, preferably WPA 2 (Wi-Fi Protected Access 2). Both your router and your wireless network adaptor must be compatible with whatever protocol you use. If WPA 2 isn't available for you choose WPA 1. Use WEP as a last resort as it is less secure. (but of course better than nothing!) The recommended size for your passphrase is 20 characters. I believe you can go up to 63 characters. (Write this down and keep it in a safe place, you may need it later to make changes to your settings, or if somehow your Router and adaptor gets out of sync. Without it you will have to reset to factory conditions and restart) Obviously the longer it is the harder it will be to break! Without a security protocol active your neighbors may be able to access your system. There are 4 other networks I've counted in my area, all except mine are running without security! As an extra precaution you can use a software firewall also. I use Zone Alarm!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Thanks Tom, I appreciate your reply.Yes- I do have WPA2, and have set a secure pass-phrase. I notice many networks in my condo complex that I never knew existed before, so I know mine is among them too- however I have elected not to broadcast my SSID on my router setup, now that all of my systems are connected.Thanks again,Bruce.

One of our flight instructor's had his wireless router hijacked by someone using it's unprotected entry. The hijacker had the audacity to install his/her own security and password. They were also downloading stuff to the instructor's computer.Thank goodness for a hardware reset switch and a product support technician from the wireless router manufacturer.W. Sieffert