I currently have a WD 80Gb HD installed with SP1 but not SP2. I am, for whatever reason, unable to install SP2. I get about halfway through, and I get an "Access Denied" message. I have looked on the web for solutions but have found nothing that works besides a reinstall Windows XP option. The only problem is, is that I have a lot of programs and other info that I will lose if I do a complete reinstall.My question is, can I just get another hard drive (for C: drive) and do a fresh install on that drive, reinstall FS9 and other associated files on it, and place the current hard drive as drive D: ? That way, when I want to use a program on it (the new D: and prior C: drive), I just go in Windows and request D: drive and open that program.That way, my new HD is C: and it has Windows XP with SP2, and my D: drive is used only when I want a file from it.Thanks in advance for any responses!RH

Guest baksteen33

>>My question is, can I just get another hard drive (for C: drive) and do a fresh install on that drive, reinstall FS9 and other associated files on it, and place the current hard drive as drive D: ? That way, when I want to use a program on it (the new D: and prior C: drive), I just go in Windows and request D: drive and open that program.<< Hi Robbie, there could be a couple of Windows registry issues if you proceed this way. Getting a new - usually faster - HD and putting FS/OS in their default locations is the best idea IMHO. Of course plus all your other programs. The data itself should be fine on the old drive. If your 80GB HD is fast (in terms of seek times and assuming it's a 7200rpm), you could i.e. use it for the pagefile. I would warmly recommend to slipstream SP2 into your original installation CD. Specially case you get a >128GB drive. ;-) If you have a burner, almost any Nero Burning ROM 'flavour'and know how to read, it's fairly simple. :-) Did you download SP2? Could be the download is corrupt? Good luck and kind regards Jaap

Thanks for the info!I downloaded the SP2 and did it several times. Each time, at the time when it is installing, it will stop and "Access Denied" will come up. It won't go any further, and everything de-installs and the computer has to be restarted.I want to get the 150Gb Rator drive from WD (10,000RPM) with 16mb cache for the main drive and keep the other drive with original files on it.RH

Hey Jaap,"would warmly recommend to slipstream SP2 into your original installation CD. Specially case you get a >128GB drive. If you have a burner, almost any Nero Burning ROM 'flavour'and know how to read, it's fairly simple." When you say slipstream, do you mean just copy it onto the installation disk. If I were able to do this, could I then just do a repair install?RH

Guest baksteen33

Hi Robbie, great idea to do a repair install! If all your data is in safety, you're of course free to try all kinds of things! :-) I've never done it like that but that obviously doesn't mean anything. :-) Since almost any kind of 'major data/OS operation' can be be destructive, the most important bit is reliable backups IMO. Slipstreaming itself is slightly more complicated than that. Not much though. :-) Simply put, you copy the contents of your original Windows CD onto the HD (temp folder) and slipstream SP2 into this data. After that you create a whole new Windows installation CD with the code it needs to become bootable. This bit is done with the help of programs like ISObuster or Bert Lagerweij's 'bbie' (Bert's Boot Image Extractor)*. But I'll let the experts do all the explaining... :-) Here's Paul Thurrott on slipstreaming (using EasyCD Creator): http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo..._slipstream.aspHere's the same one using Nero6: http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/w...sp2-bootcd.htmlMS (of course): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894950/I sent you an email (through the forum) with some further notes. Hope this gets you going, Robbie, kind regards Jaap * bbie is available here: http://www.nu2.nu/bbie/Please note, problems can arise with cetain OEM CDs (because they add content in the i386 folder). Please also note it's been a while since I slipstreamed. Above is what I could easily recover... :-)

Robbie,Are you sure you are in an administrator's account when trying to update to SP2? Some installations of Win XP Home didn't give the named user administrator's rights. Press start, control panel, user accounts, and note whether your normal account has Compter administrator listed in your account. If not, restart your computer in safe mode, administrator account (hope you know the password, if assigned) and set your normal account as an administrator.Retry installing SP2 if you made this change.W. Sieffert