Sign in to follow this  

Can I reassign throttle on yoke?

Does anyone know if there is a way to assign the throttle on my CH Yoke to control my speedbrakes? I have a stand alone throttle that I use power settings so the throttle on the yoke is never used. Thanks!!

Guest gasebah

Hi,that should be fairly easy to do. Go to your control settings, select axis. Select spoilers. Select change assignment. Move your axis (the CH Yoke throttle). Press OK. Thats it.Alex

Rich,Yes you can, as Alex suggested.But if I may make a suggestion: why not use it for Flaps instead ?1. Almost all aircraft have flaps, only the big jets have speedbrakes (actually called Spoilers).2. A spoiler lever suggests that you can arm the spoiler by setting the lever to the right postion; however that doesnot work: you have to arm the spoiler with a keystroke; even worse, after arming it with the key (normally Shift-/), the spoiler will immediately be set back to the lever position again (the axis has priority over buttons/keys)If you do decide to ue the lever as Flaps-lever (I use it on my CH Yoke LE), you do need FSUIPC for it.Rob

I have the flaps assigned to one of my stand alone throttle buttons for use with GA aircraft, for the large aircraft I use game commander to verbally assign flap setting. The reason I want the yoke throttle for the spoilers is so that I can gradually deploy the spoilers, as it stands right now with a button assigned to the spoilers they either open or close all the way, I would like to have the ability to gradually deploy them when using them to slow down in flight, that way I can raise them just enough to get to the speed I am looking for. I tried assigning the axis for the yoke throttle but it was not recognized by the FS, basically nothing happened. I'll try FSUIPC and see if I can do it through there. Any suggestions?

I installed those drivers last weekend. At last (I got the yoke in april) can I use all the buttons (Windows had erroneously mapped the ones on the left side of the yoke to a second hatswitch which FS doesn't support).Now to get it fixed, as the throttle control doesn't respond well (the potmeter is defective, leading to a non-responsive zone of 10+% on either end and increasing).

"1. Almost all aircraft have flaps, only the big jets have speed brakes (actually called Spoilers)."Hey Rob,I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but there is a difference between spoilers and speed brakes, although the terms are often interchanged in the community. :)An aircraft uses Speed brakes (as the name implies) to slow it down, and they are located anywhere OTHER than the lifting surfaces (i.e., the wings). Example...look at the tail of a Bae-146, the sides of an A-4 or A-6, the bottom of an A-7, the top of an F-15...those are speed brakes.Spoilers are located on the wings, and are named suchlike because they "spoil" lift, i.e. disrupt the smooth airflow over the wings (to make the wing lose lift, or destroy it completely.) Now, the inherent drag caused by introducing any protrusion into the air stream will give spoilers a speed brake effect, and they are commonly used for that purpose. I guess that once an aircraft is on the ground and the wings are no longer producing lift, they effectively become speed brakes. (as do the flaps, the gear, and anything else hanging in the wind) :)A

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Hi Steve,Thanks for the lecture :-)I knew the stuff about Spoilers and Speedbrakes, but the Spoileron was new to me (at least didn't know what is was actually doing).Cheers, Rob

Hehe,No problem Rob.I'm disappointed if I don't learn at least one new aviation tidbit every time I visit here. :)I'm amazed with how much I think I know about aviation, only to come here and realize how little I know about aviation!:-lolRegards,Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Part of the reason larger aircraft have automatic spoilers on landing is so they dont want to bounce on landing and dump extra lift helping braking/traction on the wheels. Just beacuse a plane is on the ground, doesn't mean the wings arn't producing lift.

I finally figured out how to assign Flaps to my extra axis using FSUIPC. It was a bit complicated editing the config and FSUIPC.ini files but I got it working and it is great! Now I assigend my old flap switch on the yoke to engine starters left and right. Works real slick to start engines without using the mouse. It is also cool to be able to do a quick check of the flap position by looking at the lever.http://www.ktone.org/images/FSD_ken.jpg