Sign in to follow this  

Aren't Simmers a great bunch?

Y'know friends, it came over me the other day that Flight Simulation must have some of the most intelligent, adaptable and resourceful people of any hobby on the planet.This warm and fuzzy moment struck me while I was musing on just how clever this community is.For example, Lee Swordy. A guy who can unravel the mysteries of AI traffic, and provides us with user friendly tools to manipulate it. Microsoft didn't do that - he did. Same to Thomas Molitor for AITM as well.And the aircraft designers, who persevere with fiendishly complicated tools such as GMAX and FSDS - applications that would have me crying in my sleep. My grateful thanks to you all.Scenery creators who spend hours photographing, measuring and programming, to make the ground look as realistic as the planes. I can't fly without having a 'pukka' place to land - so thank you.And those who repaint, tweak, tinker and generally improve FS - you know who you are. What a wonderful hobby. I'm an addict, and these people feed that habit - and I am better for them!Robhttp://www.btinternet.com/~rob.corp/images/sig.jpg

Rob,I agree wholeheartedly and could throw in a few other names such as Pete Dowson for FSUIPC, Chris Willis for FSSkyWorld, for two.It is such a shame that we also have to endure the whingers and those so quick to pick a fight with such developers, be they freeware or payware.

Guest JeanLuc_

Thank you for this refreshing post Rob! I almost felt like missing some fun lately reading a couple of threads about "PR" here. This is the real aviation spirit, that makes this community appart of the others. Thank you all sharing this passion together, without all of you/us, FS2002 out of the box would seem so dull...

Guest crashing_pilot

okay, :-beerchuglet

Shouldn't we also thank the guy who created Flight Simulator itself? But I don't remember his name (plus I wasn't born yet then!)Kitty MercuryCathay Pacific Virtual Pilot (CX252)

Isn't it amazing? There are really an awful lot! It seems that each time I find a nice item in the file library and then search out that author's name I find a pile more. The most recent example would be Mr. Choate and his nice planes and panels. Mike Stone is another obvious one.But the bottom line is that there are indeed so many people who have made FS much more than just a simple sim. They have allowed all of us to tailor the program to our needs and wants in so many ways, from planes to panels to sounds to software. It boggles the mind!You want prop planes? Got 'em. Warplanes? Yup. Big passenger jets? Sure. Amphibians? Yeah.I mean, I just took off in a Bleriot from LAX, barely made it over the parking structure and could practically hear the wind in the wires!Thank you everyone for making me forget that all of these wonderful items didn't come in the box I bought from the software store. That's how damn good you are!

Guest cliff

Snap. Well said. Allow me to add my appreciation for the helpfulness of so many others in our hobby.I've never yet had a problem that complete strangers have not offered me the benefit of their experience and, just as important, their time, to set me on the right path.Whenever I'm given their advice I marvel at how they have gone out of their way so generously.So, if any of you who sometimes help us reads this, know that you're appreciated.Thank you.Cliff

Guest crashing_pilot

OOOOPS.....great point there Cliff...THANKS FELLOWSIMMERS!!!!Tom van der ElstUhhhh.....well i've got no fancy line to type down here....if you know one....let me know...maybe i'll look smarter then *:-*DASH 7 FOREVER! :-bla

Everyone, rap your arms around your self and it will be like sharing a group hug with everyone in the FS community.... Haaaa.... Now doesn't that feel better. It makes me feel like singing!