Sign in to follow this  
PLazarus

RAM is dual channel config performance question

Hello Everyone...I need some advice. I hope someone can help.I have a mainboard that operates in dual channel memory mode.... so at the moment I have 2x512DDR400 sticks running in dual channel mode... I have 2 more free slots.I was given a new stick of 1gb DDR400... just 1. So my question is.... should I install this 1gb in 1 of my free slots... in doing so lose my dual channel config......OR install 2x512 DDR333 that I have in another PC... thus keeping dual channel config...but losing ddr400 to ddr333 for 1 of the dual channels???How important a speed increase is dual channel? Thank you...Paul

Guest baksteen33

Frankly, Paul, I'ld try to find another (as identical as possible) 1GB PC3200 module and up it to 3GBs in total. Particularly if FSX in da box. ;-) Alternatively, you should indeed be able to plug those 333 modules. In many cases 333-sticks run at 400MHz no prob. This will typically require adjusting the mainboard's bios settings away from automatic RAM-detection. If you do so and once finished, perhaps let MemTest 86+ from www.memtest.org run 20-30 passes to verify stability? Hope this adds to thoughts, kind regards Jaap

Thanks Jaap,I might try running that 333 stuff at 400 and see how it goes....I assume then from your answer that you consider the dual channel performance pretty important to the system?Cheers,Paul

Guest baksteen33

>>I assume then from your answer that you consider the dual channel performance pretty important to the system?<< Hi Paul, depends on the sim IMO. FS9 didn't seem to be RAM-criticle and anything over 2GB should translate into minimal improvements. I couldn't make a judgement re FSX as I haven't tested it (and doubt I ever will). IMHO and simply put, it's most important to have a stable system which meets the requirements of the software you wish to run. FSX and FS9 are two different ballgames, depending on numerous other factors. I.e. the CPU/GPU or mainly, at which resolution(s) you operate 'da thing'. Further considerations might be; do you have a rural or urban FS-preference? 'Mucho or mini AI'? Etc. If you for example have a 2.4GHz P4, I doubt upgrading to more than 2GB will help. I should have added this in my previous post, so pls excuse. The higher the resolution, the more RAM one ideally has. In da box, on the GPU and particularly running FSX. ;-) Hope this adds to thoughts, kind regards Jaap