Sign in to follow this  
Guest abent

Considering an upgrade...looking for suggestions...

Guest abent

Hi,Right now I have an AMD 3500+, ATI x800 PCI Express 256MB card, 1 gig Sumsung PC3200 ram. I'm looking at this as a basis:A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard and AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 processor. I thought I might keep my card but would also like suggestions on memory.Do you think I will see a significant performance increase with this new gear?Thanks,Adam

Guest Sean Reeder

What game are you considering upgrading for?FS9 or FSX?You might be better of waiting a few monthes for prices to drop on dual cores. What i would do is get a 7600gt for 140 USD or about 80-90 pounds and then upgrade the CPU when dual core becomes a little more mainstreamCheers

Guest abent

Thanks Sean,Actually it's for FS9. I don't have any plans of moving on to FSX for a while. The AMD processor I'm looking at is dual core. I can get the cpu and an asus a8n-sli board for about $570.00 CAD. The 7600GT you suggest, is that 256MB or 512?Thanks man,Adam

Guest Sean Reeder

7600 GT is 256.If you are planning on staying in FS9 for awhile i would recommend splurging a little more cash on a video card such as the 7950GT though.

>Thanks Sean,>>Actually it's for FS9. I don't have any plans of moving on to>FSX for a while. The AMD processor I'm looking at is dual>core. I can get the cpu and an asus a8n-sli board for about>$570.00 CAD. The 7600GT you suggest, is that 256MB or 512?>>Thanks man,>>Adammay I ask where you are getting it? :( im in Canada as well and thats a good price.I was looking at a AMD 64 X2 5000+ AM2 socket, with an Asus Crosshair mobo and that was around 650 bucks.

Guest abent

OK, I had serious a momentary lapse in judgement and went crazy. Here is what I just ordered:Asus A8N 32-SLI-Deluxe NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 2.60GHz OEM Processor EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS Superclocked / 640MB GDDR3 / SLI / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV / Video Card OCZ Dual Channel Special Ops XTC 2048MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB)2 x Seagate / 320GB / 7200 / 16MB / SATA-300 / OEM / Hard Drive Ultra Black Aluminus ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, Front USB, Firewire and Audio Ports and Ultra 500-Watt Power Supply.The only problem is I don't think the power supply with the case is enough. I ordered a 600watt to go with the system.Do you guys think 600 watts is enough?Thanks,Hope I don't get divorced over this!Adam

Guest Dan_Pergau

Nice system Adam :) I can only imagine the scenery you will be able to create with that beastie!!!Regards,Dan PergauPP-SEL

Guest abent

Hey Hey Dan! This baby's for gaming only, hehe. She's gonna be stripped down, software wise, for pure performance. Still never got that/those email(s) from you.Adam

Adam,thanks for sharing where you got it. I opted for AM2 thinking that in the future if I want to upgrade I wont have to change the motherboard.anyways,cheers!

Guest abent

>Adam,>>thanks for sharing where you got it.No problem. I opted for AM2 thinking>that in the future if I want to upgrade I wont have to change>the motherboard.>>anyways,>>cheers!Probably a wise move.Thanks again!Adam