Sign in to follow this  
Guest RiddlePilot

EFIS

Simple, straight to the point question; what's EFIS and how do I use it? I'm tired of those apparently senseless red rectangles flying around my skies! lolCheers!

Guest RiddlePilot

EFIS is nothing like what MS makes it in FS (all versions). EFIS stands for Electronic Flight Instrument System, and is more or less a "Glass Cockpit".

Well in this case FS EFIS in indeed just a couple of red senseless rectangles flying around....

Gustavok,I think you may be confused. EFIS is the general name for the system where monitor screens (Hence "Glass" cockpit) are used to collect the most important data from various systems and display them in neat and easily available way. The red triangles that you describe sound like they are part of the TCAS system which shows nearby traffic. A red triangle (Or diamond as they actually are) indicates that there is a good chance your about to crash and burn!!! Cheers

Guest Dean

EFIS is a 3D navigation aid. You aim your A/C for the center of the rectangle and keep it in the boxes all the way to the runway. He is right, MS refers to this feature as EFIS, for some reason. If you don't like the red boxes you can pick another style or turn it off all together under the navigation tab.

Guest RiddlePilot

In no aircraft have I ever heard of "flying through boxes" or "following the yellow brick road". The technology to do this is only now in development through the HITS (Highway In The Sky) system. And that's not even boxes drawn in the air. Its hard to describe in a short space, so check this link.http://www.cami.jccbi.gov/AAM-400A/Abstrac...LLTXT/00_31.pdf

Guest Dean

I didn't say it was real. It is what it is in FS.:-)

Guest RiddlePilot

Yes, I understand. I was just saying that I am ashamed of MS making uninformed simmers think that this is what EFIS really is.