Sign in to follow this  

FSMeteo

Hey gang,I'm seriously considering purchasing FSMeteo and have a couple of questions before I take the plunge:1) One of the main reasons I might buy FSMeteo is to take advantage of the VATSIM compatability. From my understanding, the default SquawkBox weather will *not* generate precip, but the FSMeteo engine will. Is this correct? Do those of you who use FSMeteo in conjunction with VATSIM feel as if you benefit from using FSMeteo (more realistic, better weather generation, that sort of thing).2) Where does FSMeteo get its weather from? I would assume if I link it to VATSIM then it will go from there, but moreover, what happens if, say, the weather server(s) change addresses? This may seem like a silly question, and I'm sure it probably has already been addressed at some point in the software's development.Anyhoo, I would just like a little feedback. By the way, I don't have any addon clouds at this point, just the default M$ ones.Thanks in advance,

Guest Skedflyer

Yes the weather generation is the best you'll get right now.The weather will be more up to date than Vatsim.And the best feature of FSMETEO is the high level winds and temps.There is a new program out call Activesky, looks promising, but it simulates the upper winds outside the US. Which doesn

>but it simulates the upper winds outside the US. Which >doesn

Guest Skedflyer

Yes Micheal I have seen your teams project, while as i have cleared some of it up with FSUIPC and FSMETEO. I on the other had plan my flight accourding to upper winds, and if your team can get the world wide winds aloft then i would put you guys on the list to give to my wife :) . Alot ppl don't really check wind charts so I think your product will do well, but for the rest of us it is the only thing lacking, add that and i know a few others that will sign up as well. :)GL Active Sky

As a private pilot I know that checking winds aloft during the planning phase is important. At least you will know whether they will extend or shorten your flight. But winds aloft are notoriously off. So if I am flying in the sim and have winds aloft that may not be exactly like the real winds - I am not sure how it changes anything for me. If they are horribly wrong and have no relation to the forecast winds then I agree there may be a problem but otherwise - who cares - any pilot should be prepared to handle winds (and carry extra fuel) that are not exactly what was in the plan.On the other hand the visual aspect of weather in FS2002 still leaves a lot to be desired. Unless the day comes when I can actually see this storm building in front of me (say 100-200 miles out) or this wall of clouds so far away that I am slowly approaching .. winds aloft will just remain an academic problem for me. Michael J.

Guest Skedflyer

Yes agreed, the winds aloft sometimes can be off, but at time they can be pretty damn close.. is there a reason why your team won't be simulating wind aloft? because the visual aspect dose impress me, but i would love it if it had that feature.

Guest Skedflyer

Yes agreed it can be off, but at times they can be pretty close. When flying long distances at high alt, it's nice to plan you route accounding to the winds for fuel and time, with FSMETEO you don't get the exact expected winds but close enough for long distance flights. so I guess my Question to you is there a reason Active Sky dosen't feature this? Because the visuals sounds great!

>so I guess my Question to you is there a reason Active Sky >dosen't feature this? Ask on the active sky forum. Damian will answer. I am no expert.Michael J.

Hi, "On the other hand the visual aspect of weather in FS2002 still leaves a lot to be desired."Actually I will said, entire fs2002 weather system leaves a lot to be desired this is why we did not release any realistic weather engine generator yet and for free.I was thinking to cancel the release of Fs sky world se for the limited capability. We have already our generator with, offline, online, saving weather, historical, world wide windaloft, clouds transition, many option including and our original AI wake turbulance etc. Because of the limited Msfs, Fsuipc can't do miracle still basic to me and far away from any realistic weather system. We will release our weather generator for free when it will near at least 60% acceptable vs real life reality and we will continue to works on this. Probably not released for fs2k2 but newer version for 2x better result.You will see the announcement on the Major Web site Flight Sim when it will be in Beta before the release.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFshttp://fsw.simflight.com/fsw.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

>I was thinking to cancel the release of Fs sky world se for >the limited capability. We have already our generator with, >offline, online, saving weather, historical, Chris, an improvement, however slight is still an improvement. Not being close to perfection should not have prevented your from releasing your own version. Not to mention there is no guarantee that FS2004 will have weather improvements you are expecting.A third weather program .. that would have been fun ...Michael J.

"And the best feature of FSMETEO is the high level winds"I hate to burst your bubble on this BUT, the winds aloft outside of the US, like ActiveSky, are simulated. The information regarding "current" winds aloft outside of the US is just not available from any server at this stage. There are forcasts readily available and it is this information that FSMeteo uses.The internet is full of myths and assumptions, in many cases driven along through misinterpretation and lack of knowledge. Sure the FSMeteo users like to believe that they have a programme that does give them what they have been led to believe it does and who can blame them? But the myth that has grown around FSMeteo regarding the supply of actual and current worldwide winds aloft is simply that ...... a myth!

Why don't you wait a few weeks... Then you'll have the choice between 2 possibilities. There should be enough feedback from users at that time to help you in your choice.

>"And the best feature of FSMETEO is the high level winds" >>I hate to burst your bubble on this BUT, the winds aloft >outside of the US, like ActiveSky, are simulated. Sorry for intrusion... Simulation is not the word I would use.. Since it

>and if you have any knowledge on how >these forecasts are generated you

Guest freequest

>Hi, > "On the other hand the visual aspect of weather in FS2002 >still leaves a lot to be desired." Yeah you hit the nail on the head there my friend>I was thinking to cancel the release of Fs sky world se for >the limited capability.Thank god you didnt chris i would really miss your clouds in the game especially when traviling over the horrible default mesh that microsoft gave us :)http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg