Sign in to follow this  
Ultrasweatproof

Suggestions on upgrading for better FPS

I bought a computer about a year ago. The specs are as fallows:Hewlett-Packard CompanyCompaq PresarioAMD Athlon 64 Processor3500+984 MHz, 960 MB of RAM1 GB Memory250GB Hard DriveBackground:I use FS2004 with Active Sky, LVL-D 767, PMDG747, almost every high quality payware scenery, and just recentley AI Traffic.Problem:While on the ground my FPS are poor but not only are they poor they are not steady. For example, Running Active Sky while in the PMDG 747 VC at Cloud9's LAX I experience 4-10 FPS. However the frame rates fluctuate anywhere from 4-10FPS by the second. At cruise i average 15-22 FPS but again...they are never consistant and always jumping around from 22 to as low as 4 almost instantly. When using a default cessna over Fly Tampas St. Maarten I have noted 30 FPS but at this point things really start to become choppy.Misc: Everything loads really fast, even the graphics on my system.Question:What is the most economoical way to increase my FPS to atleast a solid and steady 15 or so on the ground. I hate to sound stupid but is there a $100 video card or something that i can uprgade my system with. I am a college student so at this time buying another computer is out of the question. I hope I have been clear and provided enough information. Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some advice.

Guest wayupthere

Can't really help you out yet, since you've mentioned everything about your system EXCEPT your current GPU, and thats the info one needs to help you out ;)

Yeah. I agree. Usually the Perserios don't come witn a gaming graphics card. Check and find out what graphics card you have.

Guest wayupthere

Wow, eh well since you have onboard video (that radeon isn't a card, its onboard video Chipset), its not really surprising that fps aren't that great, you need to understand is, that with onboard video is that the CPU does everything. Remember that FS pretty much maxxes out the CPU already so it wil struggle telling/making the GPU chipset to do the other things at the same time, e.g. render all the textures, make the sounds etc...The best advice i can give you is, your CPU is ok, but really get a standalone GPU. Now heres the but, what slot do you have on your mobo, PCIe or AGP.? You need to check that, once you know that you can go with a budget GPU like a Radeon X16** series for AGP/PCIe or with a Nvidia 7600GS for AGP/PCIe. These are budget cards, roughly around $100 based on newegg.com, they aren't the strongest, but with definatly do ALOT better than Onboard video and will give better FPS.note: when you increase the resolution of you monitor, it will affect FPS since your GPU needs to work harder to render it all.

Now that you mention it, ive noted my CPU at 100% . Would you mind telling me how I might tell as to whether or not my mobo has a PCI or AGP slot? I ran a search in my Compaq help center and it is leading me to belive that I might have both a PCI and AGP slot. Thanks.

Guest wayupthere

I doubt Compaq will have that "luxury", i can be wrong but their aren't many boards that have both. In any case look at the pics below and look at the notches, you can compare that with yours, if you can't find anything about it on the Compaq site or your user manual. If you still don't know tell me the Model Presario that you have.AGP:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/171298.jpgPCIe:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/171299.jpgBTW: You need to look for PCIe not PCI. in your help center thing, PCIe and PCI are two different slots

I could not find anything in the manual so I took a picture from in my computer. I would say it resembles the one in the second picture (PCIe)? Also just this second, on the front of my computer under graphics I noticed it says "PCI Express slot". Ive included a picture.

Guest wayupthere

I personally always bough Nvidia, but i might goto ATI when their DX10 is released. They are both good decent companies who make quality products. The one you chose is a good one, but just browse through newegg, as the ones I gave you are just two examples. No you can install this by your self, no need to get a pro for this sort of stuff. Just turn off your computer, ground yourself before opening the computer, push the card into its PCIe slot, and start up the system again Upon startup, go into the BIOS (press F2, Del... ) or something similar, you can read what u need to push upon startup. Then just disable onboard video, and when windows is all booted up install the drivers needed for the card. It might sound complicated but i can assure you its not.

Guest wayupthere

Your welcome :).. Thats a good card, i've never had any issues with XFX hardware. It'll hopefully serve you well if you get that one.