Sign in to follow this  
clayton4115

new system, what do you think

QTY. Product 1 Microsoft Windows XP Home (OEM) $125.00 1 DDR2 2Gig(2x1G) PC6400 800Mhz Dual Channel Geil $199.00 1 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 P965 PCIE16, DualDDRII SATAII Glan $152.00 1 Intel ATX E6600 CORE 2 DUO /2.4GHz/4MB CACHE/1066FSB/LGA775 $305.00 1 Samsung 250G 7200RPM SATAII $79.00 Total $860.00

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest wayupthere

Looks fine Clayton great overall setup..., don't see any bad sides to that setup. HOWEVER, regarding the Gigabyte mobo. It's a solid overclocker and does do a good job, just keep in mind that it does have some DIMM compatibilty issues, so make sure that the GEILs work. That said once you got it up and running you "should" be able to make it run at/close to 3.2Ghz, that said You might/likely need a stronger PSU, and you will need adequate cooling..Use this guide at your own risk, im not responsible, for you having to call the fire-department, getting extreme headaches, rage attacks etc.... ;)With DDR2 800 memory at 5,5,5,15 Disable these 6 things in the bios.CPU Enhanced Halt.CPU Thermal Monitor.CPU EIST Function.No-execute memory protect.Limit CPUID Max to 3.Virtualization Technology.And setup the rest like this:Set Voltage Control set to manual.If unstable bump the Vcore to 1.4 (<= only do it when necessary)Set Clock Multiplier to 8.Set CPU Host Clock Control EnabledSet CPU Host Frequency (MHz) to 400Set PCIe Freq(MHz) to 100Set Memory Multiplier to 2.00Set DRAM Timing to Manual.Set CAS Latency Time to 5Set DRAM RAS/CAS Delay to 5Set DRAM RAS-Precharge to 5Set Precharge tRAS delay to 15.

thanks for your input! i am going to pick it up today and the GPU which is a 8800GT 320Meg Asus, sometime next week,so you think i would need to upgrade my psu?also i am a dummy at overclocking and i read about this mobo and it came with preset settings or something which you can just alter in the bios to overclock, i was gonna try that cause im afraid i may fry something if i did it manually.

Guest wayupthere

Well, you "should" be ok with a 450watts as long as the rails are stable. the 8800GT isnt that powerhungery as the GTXs. However i would opt for a little bit stronger PSU 500W min, just to be on the safe side since the rest of you sysetm need juice too. Regarding overclocking, if you are going to do that, you definatly need a stronger psu because you are going to stress your system more, so it will need more juice to stay stable.As to the frying part. Its hard to really fry a system nowadays with all the overheat protection already build into the CPUs, Mobos and Bios's. That said if you don't feel comfortable doing it, read up on it first how it is supposed to be done. Your mobo and CPU are quite capable , but read up and you should be ok.

hi well yesterday i decided to put the system together for the first time, i put everything in and realised my PSU is only 20 pin but the mobo atx connector is 24 so i read up and it said it should be ok, then when i went to put the computer on for the first time i was all dead - nothing, i was so fustrated and i said to myself stuff it and i took it to the computer shop and got them to do it for me, i dont have a FS computer for this weekend, im so depressed! lol but the other thing is i hope i didnt fry anything in relation to the parts in there, they said it will be ready by tues / wed of next week so hopefully next saturday i will have a new system and flying Fs 9 with all sliders maxed! ohhh the wait!!

Guest wayupthere

Hmm yeah the whole 20/24 pin thing.. I wouldnt think you fried anything, (you DID ground yourself right)... strange that it didnt power up. Did you connect all the cables correctly even the small 4/6pin one?. Ohh well, hehe i can understand your frustration not having no system to play with. But having it up and running after the weekend should make up for it. FS will (should) run nicely..

hiyea well i didnt have an anti static strap i kept holding on the the metal case with my left hand, i hope i didnt fry anything, i think i connected all the cables to the right place, but i dunno im sure i stuffed something up, just wish i had my fs computer, strange feeling like someone close to me has gone,lol what am i talking about ! :-roll

Guest wayupthere

Well i feel for you, i know the feeling, however you can enjoy the realworld now ;) you know that place outside the house... If that is the realworld anyway, Matrix comes to mind :-roll ... hahaha

lol yes i have planned to do things around the house to get my mind off it, geez didnt know i was so much into it, my be an addiction! :-jumpy

Guest wayupthere

hahaha, in any case you have a great weekend none the less :)

yep thanks, atleast i got 1 pc to visit the forums and still look at fs related stuff to past time while i wait for my fs system, i suppose the wait will be worth it with a faster pc and better smoother gameplay in fs9.Best way for me to check out how good the new pc is, is to participate in a fly in with lots of other ac on vatsim and see the results, that was the weakest point in my old AMD 3200 system.

did you put those little spacers so that the mobo sits higher then the tower's side? what that does is it keeps the pins from teh bottom side of the mobo 'away' from the metal siding so it doesnt short circuit everything...I didn't know this on my 1st computer I built, and guess what.... POOF! it wasn't pretty :(

everything is well now, took it to get it all assembled, FS9 flies along !