Sign in to follow this  
Guest Panman

Fun and Games, or not, with the Radeon 9700 and FS2K2

Guest The Ancient Brit

Recently I replaced my system with an all singing, all dancing computer that included the Radeon 9700 graphics card. It ran FS2K2 with everything at maximum at frame rates so high I am too embarrassed to admit to them here. The only snag is my flight was limited to a maximum of about five minutes before a system crash or screen freeze (requiring a system reboot) occurred. Every other program on my new computer ran with amazing speed and without a hitch (72 Paint Shop Pro thumbnails displayed on my monitor faster than my eyes could reach the bottom of the screen) except of course the program that mattered, FS2K2.Today, following a week of trying everything I know, not too much I will admit, and taking advice from others in the Avsim forums, I gave up the struggle and reinstalled the graphics card (a GeForce 3) from my old machine, resulting in the end of problems with FS2K2. Since my old computer is going to my son, he is in for one hell of surprise when he finds it arriving with the Radeon in place of the GeForce. He is a dedicated non-simmer so not being able to run FS2K2 won

Guest HansGroenewold

Denis,I hear ya, I'm going through the same exact thing right now, just as you described. Only thing is, I haven't even gotten it going yet. Check out my postings and pictures under "I just got the Radeon 9700" thread.Hans

If you own a Radeon I would highly suggest going to the rage3d forums.They are you one stop ATI needs.When I had my Radeon 7200 this place never failed me.I never had any problems with once I learned how to clean up the drivers.Atleast give this a shot before you give up and make sure Windows is ALL updated and you motherboard drivers are updated as well.This can play a key part in a system working well or not. good luck :) Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.comBill Grabowski'sMD-11 panel Beta Team-----------------------PAI beta team -----------------------http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 1600 XP MSI KT 266t pro2 512MB DDR 2100GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

I went through the same thing with an ATI Radeon 8500. Ran everything great on my system except FS2002. I sent the card back and put my Geforce 3 back in. No problems now. So I feel for you.Bob

Guest The Ancient Brit

Richard,Thanks for what is no doubt good advice. Having returned to the virtual skies however, I don

Guest Howard

I can only offer the following suggestions - nothing new really:1)Set Bios to default as recommended in the installation instructions for Radeon 9700.2)Make sure that the BIOS is set to allow the operating system to allocate interrupts.2) Un -install all ATI drivers as described in the GURU 3d forum.3) Update to latest Intel chipset drivers.4) Re-install Radeon drivers.If all else fails, format the partiton with the operating system (assuming you have the XP disk), reinstall XP and SP1 and all of the drivers as suggested above. For me there is no problem even with DX 9 and the 6228 DX 9 Radeon drivers and the ATI demos are mind boggling.RegardsHoward

Guest The Ancient Brit

Thanks for those suggestions Howard, I appreciate that you are trying to help and if you manage to help others, then all to the good. Being a Wrinkly however and approaching my sell by date I no longer have the patience and inclination to become so involved with such technicalities to persuade the card to run whatever the resulting benefits might be. I expect a new graphics card to run without too many problems (I refer to you to my comments about cars and camshaft dwell angles in my original posting) and if it doesn

Hans,I am going through the same thing. I have read many forums and tried many methods of installing this card. It seems to me that no one is sure why it works on one system but not on another and a lot of the 'cures' are mere shadow chasing.I intend to stick with this issue as I am sure the card will work and when it does it will be worth the work. If you would like to contact me and compare notes on this, please do.I there is anyone else with a Radeon 9700 and you would like to share your problems feel free to mail me and I will start to compile a list of OS, RAM, etc,etc with a detail of the symptoms. Then If a cure is found we can share it.I notice today that Dell and Evesham are shipping the ATI Radeon as standard on new systems. My system is from Evesham so I will fire off a mail tonight and see if they have any ideas.I am going to install it again tomorrw and have another try.... oh goody ... happy me ...NOTRegardsJohn

Guest HansGroenewold

Hi Guys,Believe me, I have done everything thing imaginable to get this card going. I updated the motherboard, rid the system of all old drivers, etc., etc., time and time again. The guy from ATI told me that some systems are just not compatible with the 9700, even though they are within specs, technically anyway.The things I have tried are far too numerous to list here. Along with Denis, I too was wary when I bought it just for the install problems, but I thought I could get past it. Even if I got past the install, I'll have to hope and pray she don't lock up every 5 minutes? I don't think so, not for that money.I'm trading mine in on a Leadtek TI4600 Ultra that I had my eye on originally. I listed my system specs just in case you guys are wondering what I'm trying to put it on. Bottom line, for the money this card costs, you should not have to go through this. It's ridiculous and unacceptable. Who in the right mind would find it acceptable to buy a Ferrari and then have to take it to a mechanic to have it tuned and then to the upholsterer to have the seats reinstalled? Maybe a strange analogy, but it pertains to this. I attached a screenshot from my fabulous card for your enjoyment.2.4 GHZ Pentium 4768 MB DDR SDRAM PC 2700EliteGroup L4S5M MotherboardSIS 645 Chipset300 Watt Power SupplyHans

Guest HansGroenewold

John,I admire your stamina to stick with it, wish I had it. It's almost a personal thing now to try to get it going, right? Mine is boxed up and ready to go back. Thing is, I bought mine online from a place in New York so returning it will require some effort. Good luck to you and let me know how you make out.Hans

There are certain mobos that require the ram speed to be clocked back and I know certain chip sets cause pain. Many problems have been solved over at www.rage3d.com . Those boards are a great resource.

hiI have been to rage3D.com and found many posts about this card. I have one of the mobo's and chipsets that cause grief. But, some folk hove got it working...soHans, Returning it to the States ... good luck Mine works for up to 15 mins sometimes and the speed is very good, that is why I want to try and get a result.thanks for the replyRegardsJohn

Guest HansGroenewold

mgdbottled,I've been to the website after you first advised me to do so and it's very informative. In fact, some of the things I tried were from the website. I just wished I had been there before I bought the card. I would not have bought the card had I been to the website first. I'm sure it's an excellent card on the right system, that's why I bought it. I just feel like I should not have go through so much trouble to get this thing to work. I'm sure others get the card going with a minimum amount of effort. Other's, like myself, are not so lucky and need to realize the card does not work well with some systems. That's just the way it is and it's crazy to keep trying to get something to work that isn't meant to be. I wanted some pleasure out of my purchase, not frustration and misery. Thanks for your help though.Hans

Guest HansGroenewold

John,Actually, I live in the States, California. It'll take at least a week or so to exchange it, I'm sure. I gotta try to return it, it's of no use to me now. I can't put it in the archives with my old PC games, it's too expensive for that.Hans

My experience with R9700:1. Install card2. Re-format and install Windows and FS3. Crank all sliders to max, and enable 6x FSAA4. Enjoy smooth framerates and no crashesMaybe it's #2 that everyone misses...or maybe I was just lucky. Either way I haven't had a single problem with my R9700 Pro.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP