Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Dual monitors- performance hit?

I have an nVidia 7950GT, WinXP. I use dual monitors, not just for FS but other applications too.Is there any noticable performance hit from using dual monitors? Or are the additional resources there to support the second monitor, so it makes no difference? Often I just have my second monitor with a blank desktop when I'm in FS, I use it more for e-mail and spreadsheeting as it's closer to the keyboard.Thanks, Bruce.

Hello,Since FSX SP1 I have a beter FPS on my configuration.Before SP1 it was horrible.

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

Thanks Emile,I'm really starting to like FSX, with it's great atmospheric modelling. Just looking at my system and wondering what I can do better to give even a more immersive experience. :) I wonder if resources consumed are the same if I run dual-view (desktop stretched across 2 monitors), or a simpler arrangement of having the entire desktop on both mornitors, although then I run into resolution isues as one of the monitors is smaller (and not wide-screen).Something I still have to try is moving my sound card, it's on the same IRQ as my video card. Thanks, Bruce.

Guest wayupthere

Hey Bruce,Tutorial IRQ for you ;)The easiest way to change an IRQ is to install the card into another PCI slot. IRQ steering will follow the device around so dont worry about it if the device is sharing with IRQ steering or something similar. Every device that is PCI 2.1 compliant can share with IRQ sharing (all devices in other words)....Different motherbaords will assign different IRQ's differently but in your BIOS you can sometimes specify which IRQ will be used for which PCI slot...Be aware that PCI slot 1 will share IRQ with your AGP slot generally speaking and also USB will share with which ever IRQ pci slot 3 (sometimes pci slot 4) is assigned. IRQ's are assigned by the bios and therefore cannot be changed via any settings in windows. Shuffling your pci cards around may be needed to ensure that all bus mastering devices do not sharing IRQ's or the card amy as well not have bus mastering at all. I know heaps of tricks with changing IRQ's but I wont go into them due to the way it gets very messy and extremely hard to explain. If you can think logically you should be able to work them out on your own like I did when I was 14 years old. Changing PCI slots is the easiest way to achieve a different IRQ.IRQ Sharing is the number 1 cause and is only the starting piont for stopping glitches/pops. Any MB can change IRQ's on any device there are a few tricks to it on some MB's and it can get quite complicated. I wont write how to do it other than the easiest way to change a IRQ is to install the Audio card into another PCI slot. PCI slots 2 or 3 will normally have a unshared IRQ assigned to it. People dont understand what IRQ's are and what they mean, i hope i have cleared it up for some people.Take care..

Thanks Davis,An excellent (as usual) description from you.:)Bruce.

Guest wayupthere

Hehe glad it helps you Bruce. :)