Hello folks,It's me again, sorry I ask again about this but its been a while since I last asked about it, and this time I am 100% going for it. I have saved up over the months about 1700GBP (about 3,360 USD).I really don't want to make mistakes like last time when it comes to buying a new PC, and seek some advice ;).I'm looking to run FS9 maxed out and FSX at good settings if possible, this is what I have come up with:Processor (CPU) INTEL

Guest wayupthere

Hi Oliver,Well good to go as far i see,However two points, specially #2. 1.You could save a bit of money by going with a E6600. The amount of extra speed the E6700 gives, isn't worth the extra pounds imo. With the 6600 going at 2.4GHz and the 6700 at 2.6Ghz, that gap, you should be able to cover very easy with a small OC, specially with the Asus Striker X, same as mine and it's VERY stable under overclock.2:In order to use 4GB of ram,you need a 64bit OS. A 32bit OS cannot address more than 3GB. You'll need to run XP64, Vista64..those will allow your CPU to execute the 64bit code and can then address far more than 4GB. So if you are still using 32bits OS get 2gb or 3GB max.For XP32 2GB should in most cases suffice, for Vista32 go for 3GB.______________If you really intend to do some serious over-clocking then go with the E6700 as it will out-clock higher.

Thanks for the reply, very good advice, as allways :)I will take your advice and go with the E6600 and 2Gb of RAM, I will post some screens then when I get it ;).Thanks again!

I'm in the process of building a new machine as well; one piece at a time. I just received the first piece tonight. A Lian Li PC-65 case. I've been spending a lot more time in a build this time by finding every possible review I can online. I got the case because these old eyes don't see so well inside the case. The biggest feature of the case is that the mobo tray and PS as well as the HD cage are modular. The mother board slides in and out with all components on board so you can build it outside the case. At any rate I'm not sure you need a P/S that large unless you are running SLI.My next purchase will be the power supply and I have pretty much settled on the Corsair CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 which is 620W(not planning on running SLI) and comes with a 5 yr. warranty. A bit on the expensive side but modular with great specs and reviews.You also might want to consider a mobo that will support the 65nmand quad core technology in the very near future. That's why I'mtaking it slow this time. The ASUS P5K and Deluxe version will support the next generation of processors. Craig

Guest wayupthere

Well you don't "need" a beefy PSU, yet know he will overclock the system.When overclocking both a GTX and the 6600, you will use more amps/juice, so you'll only give yourself that little bit of extra headroom for the rest of the components, that and no need to eventually having to buy another PSU when SLI comes to mind.As to the Quad-Core, the Striker Extreme is already Quad-Core ready and does support the 65nm process which are the CPUs made currently.Psst Craig, I think you ment the NextGen 45nm CPUs ;) .. but the Harpertown and Wolfdales aren't due untill atleast the end of 2007 beginning of 2008, and those will even launch with the Server-Editions first anyway, mainstream will probably be slated to hit retail well into 2008.Thats the difference is that the P5K is newer using the new P35 chipset and thus supposed to be better incl.supporting the new 45nm process, which is lacking on the Striker X. But everybody knows, newer is not always automatically better ;). Wait and see, for now the top notch board on the market is the Striker X with a proven reliability record.Ohh as to that Lian Li PC-65, good choice i have 3 here for servers, nice cases, but if you have greasy/sweaty fingers they do smudge and leave stains, so keep it clean ;)

Thanks for the info. That's why this time around I'm taking smallsteps and trying to soak up all the info I can. Every little bit helpsme learn more about what to look for and hopefully anyone else reading this thread. And your right; I did mean the 45nm.Craig ASUS A8N- nForce SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIe MOBOAMD ATHLON64 3500+ CPU w/ HT TechLG GWA-4161 DVD/CDSeagate ST3160811AS 160GB Barracuda 9 7200RPM 8MB SATA II 3Gb/s NCQSeagate ST3160811AS 250GB Barracuda 9 7200RPM 8MB SATA II 3Gb/s NCQEVGA 7950 GT KO PCIe 512mb nvodngov19147-[Guru3D.com] drivers SB Audigy 22G Corsair PC 3200 400MHZ Dual Channel DDR Super Alien 500W P/STrack IR3 w/vectorCH Yolk & RuddersFS Genesis Terrain MeshFS Genesis Land ClassActive SkyRC4

Guest wayupthere

>small steps and trying to soak up all the info I can.Exactly, also great advice for any new/fairly new system builder(s)on this board.