Sign in to follow this  
razorseal

yet another comp being built...

Hello :)I am building a new computer that should hopefully be finished end of this month... I wanted everyone's opinion on it :)but I have a few Qs 1st...should I go for a core 2 duo E6600 or a core 2 quad Q6600... the price is roughly twice (actually more I think) then a E6600... I mean i'm not rich by any means, after building this computer, i'll prolly be left with like 100 bux (i am getting all my pilot ratings/certs so it is taking up allll my money)and also do you recc. any good but cheap P35 chipset motherboards?these are really the only 2 things that I need... I have ram, and a pretty nice SATA HD I also have a water cooler...

Guest wayupthere

Hi Emir,IMHO Too expensive. 4 Cores not very useful for the software that the average home user runs at the moment... but great for bragging rights :) Go for a C2D.. by the time quad becomes more standardized, so will the price, likely round that time too there should actually be a broad(er) range of software actually demanding quad core (i hope).As far as the P35, best choice albeit it being still limited, go for either Asus, MSI or Gigabyte, i think the cheapest ones (with still decent performance) are from MSI iirc... Personally i tend to avoid Foxconn, and Abit due to their history with me, but like i said, thats totally personal.Hope that helps a bit.

I believe Intel will have a huge price drop on July the 22nd, even up to 50% I believe on the Q6600, I would wait and see.Good luck!

Guest wayupthere

Still though, even if the $250ish will become reality, there is hardly any software around asking for it, so you have a CPU that can DO it, but cant SHOW it. (for the average user that is).. So by the time more and more software becomes available for it, the NextGen CPUs will be/Should be there also, its a vicious circle.. IMO don't go getting/wanting things TOO SOON.. Right now C2Ds are doing one heck of a job, and there is even enough software already out supporting Dual cores..

Guest wayupthere

Even FSX doesn't fully utilize Quad, Heck even my X6800 beats the Quad6700 during bechmarks.I don't know, there might be another FSX patch in the future, or there might not be one. I think right now, with Quad core being very high priced, and running the risk of there not going to be a patch at all, i cant justify that gamble for myself. Just my take on this.

go check out Topic #132579 on PMDG forum (Subject: "computer upgrade/MD-11")they say FSX does support quad core, so with prices being slashed, I don't see why I shouldn't go for it

Guest wayupthere

If you want to then by all means go for it, didn't know that the SP1 took care of the cores. However i just think for the limited ammount of programs available it ist wothr it yet, specially with the new generation 45nm chips coming out next year. Anyway good luck with whatever choice you make.

could you explain me the 45nm and 65nm (is that whats there now?) differences? I don't know what those are

Guest wayupthere

65nm process is what the Chips are now, 45nm chips will be more power efficient (lower-electric bill) and produce less heat (again lower electric-bill,They can also hold more transistors too,making a way for possible newer ways of instructions being programmed, although that is purely speculative right now, they may or may not include that technology) speculated also due to the fact that they produce less heat, they "should" be better OC'able thus giving you a better bang for buck. Now there aren't any chips out yet, but those are the words currently going around the floor, and to me it's definatly worth keeping an eye on and will probally for me be the next time i'll upgrade my system.