Sign in to follow this  
paulbakeman

Overclocking...Easy for a Wimp??

Hello All!As part of a new system that I plan to build in the next few weeks or so, I'm looking at the ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX mobo. I would like to dabble in overclocking for the first time with this new system. Does an app (preferably a Windows type of app)come with this mobo that makes overclocking a relatively painless process (and one that a newbie to overcloking can understand)? Also, does it have any sort of protection routine, like if I try to go too far, it sort of "resets itself" before any harm is done? Thanks!!Paul

I don't know if that mobo comes with anything particularly for this purpose but even if it did I'd really recommend doing the overclocking through the BIOS settings - you're less likely to screw things up this way I think.A few hours on the web should find you enough information to get started - I've only done it to AMD machines so can't give you any good links. One tip though is to have a laptop or another PC to hand with a net connection so you can look for advice if you have problems!If you really want to use a windows based app then clockgen from cpuid will give you a good idea of what works and then you can apply those settings to BIOS and test...Cheers,GeoffPS> NO OVERCLOCKING IS 100% SAFE!! But equally you'll never know if your component would have failed anyway!

Guest wayupthere

OCing takes alot of effort (trail/erro), patience and GUTS... Now given that some of the current HW can/should be able to take a (small) beating depending of the brand of components inside the system. With the Striker you should not have that much to fear (as long as you dont go overboard al at once), as it has tons of feat, and as long as you take it slow, and do your research you can OC pretty darn good with that board (the amount however also depends on the rest of your hardware)..I have that same board, now there are alot of things to consider, when starting to try and OC, my advice, stock up on any info you can and read all that 4x, then take small steps and keep your mind to what your doing, Dont try to be a hero, or you'll see Blue smoke very quickly ;) That all said,feel to contact me if you have an questions. Take care, n Happy OCing.