Sign in to follow this  
brucek

BIOS update with RAID0

I have an Asus A8N32-SLI delux, and run a RAID0 array. If I update the BIOS, what (if any) effect does the BIOS update have on the RAID setup? I believe the 2 are quite separate to each other, but thought I would ask :)Thanks- Bruce.

Guest wayupthere

Yes BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) and RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Drives/Disks) are totally different, being that an incorrect Flash of you BIOS chip, can kill your system, in some cases beyond recovery...My advice, if you are running a smooth-sailing RAID0 setup now, leave the BIOS alone. (aka Don't fix whats not broken). From my experiences, the effects are very minimal after a BIOS-update. To me, if it runs, it runs. The BIOS is a very sensitive part of the system, so best leave it alone UNLESS its absolutely necessary.

Hi Davis,I like your answer :)Thanks again,Bruce.

Guest wayupthere

Haha well yeah, i'm just having a rest now, nice to be home again, being able to use my normal system instead of the "on-the-road-punished " laptop hehe...the tour was a good success. Now the "Office People" can plan the next tour hehe. Cool will await your project-progress and will have a read through the topic you mentioned :)

Complete Sidenote:If you are running a RAID-0 array, allow me to strongly recommend a solid backup plan. Not for the reason you may be thinking of (*that being the added vulnerability of any one drive taking down the entire array), but rather because if your motherboard fails out, or if a BIOS update goes haywire, you may be up the creek trying to find a new motherboard that can read they array you have established! Imagine how ticked you would be if you had no backups and your motherboard died, then you couldn't find a new board that had the same chipset to read your RAID array?Although I haven't had this happen to me, a recent post either here or on another board seeking a specific motherboard type due to this gotcha got me thinking about it. (And yes, as mentioned above, a BIOS update *shouldn't* effect the RAID, but you never know. Proceed with caution.)

Thanks Greg,I appreciate the additional advice, there can never be enough of that :)Bruce.